Reducing the number of cuts in generating three-staged cutting patterns
AbstractThree-staged guillotine patterns are widely used in the manufacturing industry to cut stock plates into rectangular items. The cutting cost often increases with the number of cuts required. This paper focuses on the rectangular two-dimensional cutting stock problem, where three-staged guillotine patterns are used, and the objective is to minimize the sum of plate and cutting costs. The column generation framework is used to solve the problem. It uses a pattern-generation procedure to obtain the patterns. The cutting cost is considered in both the pattern-generation procedure and the objective of the linear programming formulation. The computational results indicate that the approach can reduce the number of cuts, without increasing the plate cost.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 218 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Cutting; Packing; Two-dimensional cutting; Cuts reduction;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yanasse, Horacio Hideki & Senne, Edson Luiz França, 2010. "The minimization of open stacks problem: A review of some properties and their use in pre-processing operations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 203(3), pages 559-567, June.
- Cherri, Adriana Cristina & Arenales, Marcos Nereu & Yanasse, Horacio Hideki, 2009. "The one-dimensional cutting stock problem with usable leftover - A heuristic approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(3), pages 897-908, August.
- Wascher, Gerhard & Hau[ss]ner, Heike & Schumann, Holger, 2007. "An improved typology of cutting and packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(3), pages 1109-1130, December.
- Cui, Yaodong & Yang, Yuli, 2010. "A heuristic for the one-dimensional cutting stock problem with usable leftover," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 245-250, July.
- Reinertsen, Harald & Vossen, Thomas W.M., 2010. "The one-dimensional cutting stock problem with due dates," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(3), pages 701-711, March.
- Song, X. & Chu, C.B. & Nie, Y.Y. & Bennell, J.A., 2006. "An iterative sequential heuristic procedure to a real-life 1.5-dimensional cutting stock problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(3), pages 1870-1889, December.
- Cintra, G.F. & Miyazawa, F.K. & Wakabayashi, Y. & Xavier, E.C., 2008. "Algorithms for two-dimensional cutting stock and strip packing problems using dynamic programming and column generation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(1), pages 61-85, November.
- Silva, Elsa & Alvelos, Filipe & Valério de Carvalho, J.M., 2010. "An integer programming model for two- and three-stage two-dimensional cutting stock problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(3), pages 699-708, September.
- François Vanderbeck, 2001. "A Nested Decomposition Approach to a Three-Stage, Two-Dimensional Cutting-Stock Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(6), pages 864-879, June.
- Puchinger, Jakob & Raidl, Gunther R., 2007. "Models and algorithms for three-stage two-dimensional bin packing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(3), pages 1304-1327, December.
- Cui, Yaodong & Zhao, Zhigang, 2013. "Heuristic for the rectangular two-dimensional single stock size cutting stock problem with two-staged patterns," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 231(2), pages 288-298.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.