Decomposing profit inefficiency in DEA through the weighted additive model
AbstractAn issue that has received little attention in the Data Envelopment Analysis literature is the decomposition of profit inefficiency by means of measures that account all sources of technical inefficiency. In this paper we introduce a new way to measure and decompose profit inefficiency through weighted additive models. All our results are derived from a new Fenchel-Mahler inequality using duality theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 212 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Data Envelopment Analysis Profit inefficiency Weighted additive model Fenchel-Mahler inequality;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2010. "Directional distance functions and slacks-based measures of efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 320-322, January.
- C. Lovell & Shawna Grosskopf & Eduardo Ley & Jesús Pastor & Diego Prior & Philippe Eeckaut, 1994.
"Linear programming approaches to the measurement and analysis of productive efficiency,"
TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research,
Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 175-248, December.
- Lovell, C.A.K., 1993. "Linear Programming Approaches to the Measurement and Analysis of Productive Efficiency," Papers 393e, Georgia - College of Business Administration, Department of Economics.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Kortelainen, Mika & Sipiläinen, Timo & Cherchye, Laurens, 2010. "Firm and industry level profit efficiency analysis using absolute and uniform shadow prices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 584-594, April.
- Maria Silva Portela & Pedro Borges & Emmanuel Thanassoulis, 2003. "Finding Closest Targets in Non-Oriented DEA Models: The Case of Convex and Non-Convex Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 251-269, April.
- Robert Thrall, 2000. "Measures in DEA with an Application to the Malmquist Index," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 125-137, March.
- Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 2010. "Directional distance functions and slacks-based measures of efficiency: Some clarifications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(3), pages 702-702, November.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Zofío, José Luis & Pastor, Jesús & Aparicio, Juan, 2010.
"The Directional Profit Efficiency Measure: On Why Profit Inefficiency is either Technical or Allocative,"
Working Papers in Economic Theory
2010/09, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Jose Zofio & Jesus Pastor & Juan Aparicio, 2013. "The directional profit efficiency measure: on why profit inefficiency is either technical or allocative," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 257-266, December.
- Aparicio, Juan & Pastor, Jesus T. & Ray, Subhash C., 2013. "An overall measure of technical inefficiency at the firm and at the industry level: The ‘lost profit on outlay’," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(1), pages 154-162.
- Aparicio, Juan & Borras, Fernando & Pastor, Jesus T. & Vidal, Fernando, 2013. "Accounting for slacks to measure and decompose revenue efficiency in the Spanish Designation of Origin wines with DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 231(2), pages 443-451.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.