Semiparametric estimation of a truncated regression model
AbstractThis paper proposes a new semiparametric estimator for the truncated regression model under the independence restriction. Many existing approaches such as those in Lee (1992) and Honoré and Powell (1994) are moment-based methods, whereas our approach makes use of the entire truncated distribution. As a result, our approach is expected to require weaker identification and to have more favorable performance. Our simulation results suggest that our estimator outperforms that of Lee (1992) and Honoré and Powell (1994) in a variety of designs. Our estimator is shown to be consistent and asymptotically normal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 167 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitney Newey, 1999.
"Conditional Moment Restrictions in Censored and Truncated Regression Models,"
99-15, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Newey, Whitney K., 2001. "Conditional Moment Restrictions In Censored And Truncated Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(05), pages 863-888, October.
- Jason Abrevaya, 1999. "Rank estimation of a transformation model with observed truncation," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 292-305.
- Lee, M.J., 1990.
"Quadratic Mode Regression,"
9-90-10, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2004. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation via Moment Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1877-1897, November.
- Honore, Bo E. & Powell, James L., 1994. "Pairwise difference estimators of censored and truncated regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 241-278.
- Stephen R. Cosslett, 2004. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Censored and Truncated Regressions via a Smoothed Self-Consistency Equation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(4), pages 1277-1293, 07.
- Pakes, Ariel & Pollard, David, 1989. "Simulation and the Asymptotics of Optimization Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1027-57, September.
- Powell, James L, 1986. "Symmetrically Trimmed Least Squares Estimation for Tobit Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1435-60, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.