On a master-slave Bertrand game model
AbstractA master-slave Bertrand game model is proposed for upstream and downstream monopolies owned by different parties, in which the upstream monopolist's output is used as the main factor of production by the downstream monopolist who is a small purchaser of the upstream monopolist's output. The bifurcation of the Bertrand-Nash equilibrium is analyzed with Schwarzian derivative. Numerical simulations are employed to show the model's complex dynamics by means of the largest Lyapunov exponents (LLEs), bifurcation, time series diagrams and phase portraits. With the modified straight-line stabilization method, chaos control is used to improve the aggregate profits of the two oligopolists. Lastly the welfare impacts of price fluctuations and chaos controls are briefly discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 28 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Bertrand game Bifurcations Welfare cost Chaos control Consumer surplus;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baron, David P, 1970. "Price Uncertainty, Utility, and Industry Equilibrium in Pure Competition," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 11(3), pages 463-80, October.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1993.
"Standard Risk Aversion,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(3), pages 589-611, May.
- Bester,Helmut, 1988.
"Bertrand equilibrium in a differentiated duopoly,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
209, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Hołyst, Janusz A & Urbanowicz, Krzysztof, 2000. "Chaos control in economical model by time-delayed feedback method," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 287(3), pages 587-598.
- Tramontana, Fabio, 2010. "Heterogeneous duopoly with isoelastic demand function," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 350-357, January.
- Wouter J. Denhaan, 2000.
"The Importance Of The Number Of Different Agents In A Heterogeneous Asset-Pricing Model,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2000
349, Society for Computational Economics.
- Den Haan, Wouter J., 2001. "The importance of the number of different agents in a heterogeneous asset-pricing model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 721-746, May.
- Gian-Italo Bischi & Ahmad K. Naimzada & Lucia Sbragia, 2004.
"Oligopoly Games with Local Monopolistic Approximation,"
81, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2004.
- Bischi, Gian Italo & Naimzada, Ahmad K. & Sbragia, Lucia, 2007. "Oligopoly games with Local Monopolistic Approximation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 371-388, March.
- Fabio Tramontana & Laura Gardini & Tönu Puu, 2008.
"Cournot Duopoly when the Competitors Operate Multiple Production Plants,"
0809, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2008.
- Tramontana, Fabio & Gardini, Laura & Puu, Tönu, 2009. "Cournot duopoly when the competitors operate multiple production plants," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 250-265, January.
- Chen, Liang & Chen, Guanrong, 2007. "Controlling chaos in an economic model," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 374(1), pages 349-358.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Myers, Robert J., 2006. "On the costs of food price fluctuations in low-income countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 288-301, August.
- Haibo Xu & Guangrui Wang & Shigang Chen, 2001. "Controlling chaos by a modified straight-line stabilization method," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 65-69, 07.
- Zhang, Jixiang & Da, Qingli & Wang, Yanhua, 2007. "Analysis of nonlinear duopoly game with heterogeneous players," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 138-148, January.
- Agiza, H.N. & Hegazi, A.S. & Elsadany, A.A., 2002. "Complex dynamics and synchronization of a duopoly game with bounded rationality," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 133-146.
- Diks, C.G.H. & Hommes, C.H. & Panchenko, V. & Weide, R. van der, 2006.
"E&F Chaos: a user friendly software package for nonlinear economic dynamics,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
06-15, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Cees Diks & Cars Hommes & Valentyn Panchenko & Roy Weide, 2008. "E&F Chaos: A User Friendly Software Package for Nonlinear Economic Dynamics," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 32(1), pages 221-244, September.
- Agiza, H.N. & Elsadany, A.A., 2003. "Nonlinear dynamics in the Cournot duopoly game with heterogeneous players," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 320(C), pages 512-524.
- Bischi, Gian Italo & Kopel, Michael, 2001. "Equilibrium selection in a nonlinear duopoly game with adaptive expectations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 73-100, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.