Export promotion, learning by doing and growth
AbstractThis paper explores the quantitative link between export-promoting commercial policies and economic growth. We build and calibrate a dynamic general equilibrium model of a small developing economy. The economy's equilibrium is suboptimal due to monopolistic competition in the manufacturing sector and a human capital accumulation externality. Second-best commercial policy that promotes exports in the sector with the externality can lead to an increase in both welfare and growth rates. We show that export-promoting policies can lead to substantial quantitative increases in steady-state growth for a wide range of parameter values. Nous examinons dans ce texte le lien quantitatif entre les politiques commerciales qui encouragent les exportations d'une part et, d'autre part, la croissance Ã©conomique. Nous dÃ©veloppons et Ã©talonnons un modÃ¨le dynamique d'Ã©quilibre gÃ©nÃ©ral d'un petite Ã©conomie en voie de dÃ©veloppement. L'Ã©quilibre de l'Ã©conomie est sous-optimal Ã cause de la concurrence monopolistique dans le secteur manufacturier et Ã cause d'une externalitÃ© au niveau de l'accumulation du capital humain. Des politiques commerciales de second rang qui encouragent les exportations dans le secteur oÃ¹ il y a l'externalitÃ© peuvent simultanÃ©ment amÃ©liorer le bien-Ãªtre et faire augmenter le taux de croissance. Nous montrons que de telles politiques peuvent avoir des effets importants sur la croissance pour une gamme de valeurs de paramÃ¨tres assez large.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 23 (1999)
Issue (Month): 5-6 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
Other versions of this item:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Colin I. Bradford, Jr. & William H. Branson, 1987. "Trade and Structural Change in Pacific Asia," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number brad87-1, May.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Barro, Robert J. & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Scholarly Articles 3451299, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence Across States and Regions," Papers 629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991. "Convergence," Papers 645, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Michael B. Devereux & Allen C. Head & Beverly J. Lapham, 1993. "Exit and Entry, Increasing Returns to Specialization, and Business Cycles," Working Papers 871, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robert E Lucas, 1999.
"Making a Miracle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2101, David K. Levine.
- Young, Alwyn, 1995. "The Tyranny of Numbers: Confronting the Statistical Realities of the East Asian Growth Experience," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 641-80, August.
- Steve Ambler & Alain Paquet, 1994. "Recursive Methods for Computing Equilibria of General Equilibrium Dynamic Stackelberg Games," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 25, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Alwyn Young, 1991. "Learning by Doing and the Dynamic Effects of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 3577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, December.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1990. "Market Power, Economic Profitability and Productivity Growth Measurement: An Integrated Structural Approach," NBER Working Papers 3355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
- Albert Marcet & Ramon Marimon, 1991.
"Communication, commitment and growth,"
Economics Working Papers
1, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Albert Marcet & Ramon Marimon, 1992. "Communication, commitment, and growth," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 74, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1993. "Openness, Trade Liberalization, and Growth in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1358-93, September.
- Mendoza, Enrique G, 1991. "Real Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 797-818, September.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Rivera-Batiz, Luis A & Romer, Paul M, 1991.
"Economic Integration and Endogenous Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 531-55, May.
- Young, Alwyn, 1991. "Learning by Doing and the Dynamic Effects of International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 369-405, May.
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1979. "Internationally decreasing costs and world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Joshua Aizenman & Jaewoo Lee, 2008. "The Real Exchange Rate, Mercantilism and the Learning by Doing Externality," NBER Working Papers 13853, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dissou, Yazid & Mac Leod, Carolyn & Souissi, Mokhtar, 2002. "Compliance costs to the Kyoto Protocol and market structure in Canada: a dynamic general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 24(7-8), pages 751-779, November.
- Mage-Bertomeu, Sabine, 2006. "Les modèles d'équilibre général appliqués à la politique commerciale : développements récents," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1696, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.