Simultaneous curve registration and clustering for functional data
AbstractStudy of dynamic processes in many areas of science has led to the appearance of functional data sets. It is often the case that individual trajectories vary both in the amplitude space and in the time space. We develop a coherent clustering procedure that allows for temporal aligning. Under this framework, closed form solutions of an EM type learning algorithm are derived. The method can be applied to all types of curve data but is particularly useful when phase variation is present. We demonstrate the method by both simulation studies and an application to human growth curves.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 53 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Gervini & Theo Gasser, 2004. "Self-modelling warping functions," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(4), pages 959-971.
- Fraley C. & Raftery A.E., 2002. "Model-Based Clustering, Discriminant Analysis, and Density Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 611-631, June.
- Xueli Liu & Hans-Georg Muller, 2004. "Functional Convex Averaging and Synchronization for Time-Warped Random Curves," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 687-699, January.
- Birgitte B. Rønn, 2001. "Nonparametric maximum likelihood estimation for shifted curves," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 243-259.
- James G.M. & Sugar C.A., 2003. "Clustering for Sparsely Sampled Functional Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 397-408, January.
- Tarpey, Thaddeus, 2007. "Linear Transformations and the k-Means Clustering Algorithm: Applications to Clustering Curves," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 61, pages 34-40, February.
- Lawrence Hubert & Phipps Arabie, 1985. "Comparing partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 193-218, December.
- Luis Angel Garcia-Escudero & Alfonso Gordaliza, 2005. "A Proposal for Robust Curve Clustering," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 185-201, September.
- Jeng-Min Chiou & Pai-Ling Li, 2007. "Functional clustering and identifying substructures of longitudinal data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 679-699.
- Daniel Gervini & Theo Gasser, 2005. "Nonparametric maximum likelihood estimation of the structural mean of a sample of curves," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(4), pages 801-820, December.
- Serban, Nicoleta & Wasserman, Larry, 2005. "CATS: Clustering After Transformation and Smoothing," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 990-999, September.
- Jacques, Julien & Preda, Cristian, 2014. "Model-based clustering for multivariate functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 92-106.
- Allou Samé & Faicel Chamroukhi & Gérard Govaert & Patrice Aknin, 2011. "Model-based clustering and segmentation of time series with changes in regime," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 301-321, December.
- Li, Pai-Ling & Chiou, Jeng-Min, 2011. "Identifying cluster number for subspace projected functional data clustering," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 2090-2103, June.
- Slaets, Leen & Claeskens, Gerda & Hubert, Mia, 2012. "Phase and amplitude-based clustering for functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(7), pages 2360-2374.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.