Identifying cluster number for subspace projected functional data clustering
AbstractWe propose a new approach, the forward functional testing (FFT) procedure, to cluster number selection for functional data clustering. We present a framework of subspace projected functional data clustering based on the functional multiplicative random-effects model, and propose to perform functional hypothesis tests on equivalence of cluster structures to identify the number of clusters. The aim is to find the maximum number of distinctive clusters while retaining significant differences between cluster structures. The null hypotheses comprise equalities between the cluster mean functions and between the sets of cluster eigenfunctions of the covariance kernels. Bootstrap resampling methods are developed to construct reference distributions of the derived test statistics. We compare several other cluster number selection criteria, extended from methods of multivariate data, with the proposed FFT procedure. The performance of the proposed approaches is examined by simulation studies, with applications to clustering gene expression profiles.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 55 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Bootstrapping Cluster analysis Functional data analysis Functional principal components Gene expression profiles Hypothesis test;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiou, Jeng-Min & Li, Pai-Ling, 2008. "Correlation-Based Functional Clustering via Subspace Projection," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1684-1692.
- Yao, Fang & Muller, Hans-Georg & Wang, Jane-Ling, 2005. "Functional Data Analysis for Sparse Longitudinal Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 577-590, June.
- Ma, Ping & Zhong, Wenxuan, 2008. "Penalized Clustering of Large-Scale Functional Data With Multiple Covariates," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 625-636, June.
- Hardy, Andre, 1996. "On the number of clusters," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 83-96, November.
- C. Abraham & P. A. Cornillon & E. Matzner-Løber & N. Molinari, 2003. "Unsupervised Curve Clustering using B-Splines," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(3), pages 581-595.
- Zeng, Yujing & Garcia-Frias, Javier, 2006. "A novel HMM-based clustering algorithm for the analysis of gene expression time-course data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2472-2494, May.
- Luis Angel Garcia-Escudero & Alfonso Gordaliza, 2005. "A Proposal for Robust Curve Clustering," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 185-201, September.
- Shubhankar Ray & Bani Mallick, 2006. "Functional clustering by Bayesian wavelet methods," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(2), pages 305-332.
- Jeng-Min Chiou & Pai-Ling Li, 2007. "Functional clustering and identifying substructures of longitudinal data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(4), pages 679-699.
- Serban, Nicoleta & Wasserman, Larry, 2005. "CATS: Clustering After Transformation and Smoothing," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 990-999, September.
- Sangalli, Laura M. & Secchi, Piercesare & Vantini, Simone & Vitelli, Valeria, 2010. "k-mean alignment for curve clustering," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 1219-1233, May.
- Antonio Cuevas & Manuel Febrero & Ricardo Fraiman, 2007. "Robust estimation and classification for functional data via projection-based depth notions," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 481-496, September.
- Robert Tibshirani & Guenther Walther & Trevor Hastie, 2001. "Estimating the number of clusters in a data set via the gap statistic," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 411-423.
- Lawrence Hubert & Phipps Arabie, 1985. "Comparing partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 193-218, December.
- Glenn Milligan & Martha Cooper, 1985. "An examination of procedures for determining the number of clusters in a data set," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 50(2), pages 159-179, June.
- Sugar, Catherine A. & James, Gareth M., 2003. "Finding the Number of Clusters in a Dataset: An Information-Theoretic Approach," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 750-763, January.
- Liu, Xueli & Yang, Mark C.K., 2009. "Simultaneous curve registration and clustering for functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1361-1376, February.
- Tarpey, Thaddeus, 2007. "Linear Transformations and the k-Means Clustering Algorithm: Applications to Clustering Curves," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 61, pages 34-40, February.
- Berrendero, J.R. & Justel, A. & Svarc, M., 2011. "Principal components for multivariate functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(9), pages 2619-2634, September.
- Epifanio, Irene & Ventura-Campos, Noelia, 2011. "Functional data analysis in shape analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(9), pages 2758-2773, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.