Efficient Bayesian estimation of multivariate state space models
AbstractA Bayesian Markov chain Monte Carlo methodology is developed for the estimation of multivariate linear Gaussian state space models. In particular, an efficient simulation smoothing algorithm is proposed that makes use of the univariate representation of the state space model. Substantial gains over existing algorithms in computational efficiency are achieved using the new simulation smoother for the analysis of high dimensional multivariate time series. The methodology is used to analyse a multivariate time series dataset of the Normalised Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI), which is a proxy for the level of live vegetation, for a particular grazing property located in Queensland, Australia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 53 (2009)
Issue (Month): 12 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994.
"Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models,"
3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, . "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models," Econometrics 9610002, EconWPA.
- André Lucas & Siem Jan Koopman, 2005.
"Business and default cycles for credit risk,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 311-323.
- Siddhartha Chib & Edward Greenberg, 1994.
"Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics,"
9408001, EconWPA, revised 24 Oct 1994.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1996. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 409-431, August.
- Charles Bos & Neil Shephard, 2006.
"Inference for Adaptive Time Series Models: Stochastic Volatility and Conditionally Gaussian State Space Form,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2-3), pages 219-244.
- Charles S. Bos & Neil Shephard, 2004. "Inference for Adaptive Time Series Models: Stochastic Volatility and Conditionally Gaussian State Space form," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-015/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Neil Shephard & Charles S. Bos, 2004. "Inference for adaptive time series models: stochastic volatility and conditionally Gaussian state space form," Economics Series Working Papers 2004-W02, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Charles S. Bos & Neil Shephard, 2004. "Inference for Adaptive Time Series Models: Stochastic Volatility and Conditionally Gaussian State Space Form," Economics Papers 2004-W02, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Harvey, A.C. & Trimbur, T.M. & van Dijk, H.K., 2005.
"Trends and cycles in economic time series: A Bayesian approach,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2005-27, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Harvey, Andrew C. & Trimbur, Thomas M. & Van Dijk, Herman K., 2007. "Trends and cycles in economic time series: A Bayesian approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 618-649, October.
- Strickland, Chris M. & Martin, Gael M. & Forbes, Catherine S., 2008.
"Parameterisation and efficient MCMC estimation of non-Gaussian state space models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 2911-2930, February.
- Chris M Strickland & Gael Martin & Catherine S Forbes, 2006. "Parameterisation and Efficient MCMC Estimation of Non-Gaussian State Space Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 22/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Fernandez, F Javier & Harvey, Andrew C, 1990. "Seemingly Unrelated Time Series Equations and a Test for Homogeneity," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 71-81, January.
- Chris M. Strickland & Catherine S. Forbes & Gael M. Martin, 2003.
"Bayesian Analysis of the Stochastic Conditional Duration Model,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
14/03, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Strickland, Chris M. & Forbes, Catherine S. & Martin, Gael M., 2006. "Bayesian analysis of the stochastic conditional duration model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2247-2267, May.
- Durbin, James & Koopman, Siem Jan, 2001.
"Time Series Analysis by State Space Methods,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198523543.
- Tom Doan, . "SEASONALDLM: RATS procedure to create the matrices for the seasonal component of a DLM," Statistical Software Components RTS00251, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Ouysse, Rachida & Kohn, Robert, 2010. "Bayesian variable selection and model averaging in the arbitrage pricing theory model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 3249-3268, December.
- Strid, Ingvar, 2010. "Efficient parallelisation of Metropolis-Hastings algorithms using a prefetching approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2814-2835, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.