On the Normalization of Structural Equations: Properties of Direct Estimators
AbstractIn a single structural equation, only the direction of the vector of coefficients of the endogenous variables is determined. Estimators for that direction can be defined directly, but are also induced by classical estimators that embody the traditional normalization rule. Exact distribution results show that the properties of estimators that depend on the usual normalization rule--which gives special emphasis to a particular direction--are distorted by that dependence, while those of the direct estimators are not. Thus, the traditional normalization rule may serve to define the parameters of interest, but should not be embodied in the estimation procedure. Copyright 1990 by The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 58 (1990)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enrique Moral-Benito & Cristian Bartolucci, 2011.
"Income and democracy: revisiting the evidence,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1115, Banco de Espa�a.
- Giovanni Forchini, 2006. "Tests for Over-identifying Restrictions in Partially Identified Linear Structural Equations," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 20/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Randolph G. K. Tan, 2000. "Finite-Sample Optimality of Tests in a Structural Equation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1853, Econometric Society.
- Chao, John C. & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2002.
"Jeffreys prior analysis of the simultaneous equations model in the case with n+1 endogenous variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 251-283, December.
- John C. Chao & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1998. "Jeffreys Prior Analysis of the Simultaneous Equations Model in the Case with n+1 Endogenous Variables," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1198, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Nonstationary Panels, Cointegration in Panels and Dynamic Panels: A Survey," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 16, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Grant Hillier, 2006.
"On the conditional likelihood ratio test for several parameters in IV regression,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP26/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hillier, Grant, 2009. "On The Conditional Likelihood Ratio Test For Several Parameters In Iv Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 305-335, April.
- Andrew M. Jones & José M. Labeaga, 2003. "Individual heterogeneity and censoring in panel data estimates of tobacco expenditure," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 157-177.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Moreira, Marcelo J. & Stock, James H., 2008. "Efficient two-sided nonsimilar invariant tests in IV regression with weak instruments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 241-254, October.
- Marmer, Vadim & Sakata, Shinichi, 2011. "Instrumental Variables Estimation and Weak-Identification-Robust Inference Based on a Conditional Quantile Restriction," Microeconomics.ca working papers vadim_marmer-2011-26, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 28 Sep 2011.
- J. David López-Salido & Pilar Velilla, 2002. "La dinámica de los márgenes en España. Una primera aproximación con datos agregados," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 26(1), pages 59-85, January.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 2001. "Logique et tests d’hypothèses," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 77(2), pages 171-190, juin.
- Rodrigo Alfaro, 2008. "Higher Order Properties of the Symmetricallr Normalized Instrumental Variable Estimator," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 500, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.