Approximate Power Functions for Some Robust Tests of Regression Coefficients
AbstractEdgeworth approximations are developed for the distribution functio ns of some statistics for testing a linear hypothesis on the coefficient s in a regression model with an unknown error covariance matrix. Adjust ments to the asymptotic critical values are found to insure that the tests have correct size to second order of approximation. The power loss due to the estimation of the error covariance matrix is calculated. Some examples involving heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation suggest that the null rejection probabilities of common robust regression tests are often considerably greater than their nominal level. Moreover, the cost of not knowing the error covariance matrix can be substantial. Copyright 1988 by The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 56 (1988)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hidehiko Ichimura & Oliver Linton, 2003.
"Asymptotic expansions for some semiparametric program evaluation estimators,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2098, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hidehiko Ichimura & Oliver Linton, 2003. "Asymptotic Expansions for Some Semiparametric Program Evaluation Estimators," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2003/451, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Hidehiko Ichimura & Oliver Linton, 2001. "Asymptotic expansions for some semiparametric program evaluation estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP04/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Spyridon D. Symeondes & Yiannis Karavias & Elias Tzavalis, . "Size corrected significance tests in Seemingly Unrelated Regressions with autocorrelated errors," Discussion Papers 14/01, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Banerjee, Anurag N. & Magnus, Jan R., 2000. "On the sensitivity of the usual t- and F-tests to covariance misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 157-176, March.
- Hausman, Jerry & Kuersteiner, Guido, 2008.
"Difference in difference meets generalized least squares: Higher order properties of hypotheses tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 371-391, June.
- Jerry Hausman & Guido Kuersteiner, 2005. "Difference in Difference Meets Generalized Least Squares: Higher Order Properties of Hypotheses Tests," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-010, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Magdalinos, Michael A. & Symeonides, Spyridon D., 1995. "Alternative size corrections for some GLS test statistics the case of the AR(1) model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 35-59.
- Hausman, Jerry & Palmer, Christopher, 2012.
"Heteroskedasticity-robust inference in finite samples,"
Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 232-235.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Christopher J. Palmer, 2011. "Heteroskedasticity-Robust Inference in Finite Samples," NBER Working Papers 17698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linton, Oliver, 1995.
"Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(5), pages 1079-1112, September.
- Oliver Linton, 1993. "Second Order Approximation in the Partially Linear Regression Model," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1065, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Linton, Oliver, 1997.
"An Asymptotic Expansion in the GARCH(l, 1) Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 558-581, August.
- Oliver Linton, 1997. "Second Order Approximation in a Linear Regression with Heteroskedasticity for Unknown Form," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1151, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach & Douglas L. Miller, 2007.
"Bootstrap-Based Improvements for Inference with Clustered Errors,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0344, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach & Douglas L. Miller, 2008. "Bootstrap-Based Improvements for Inference with Clustered Errors," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 414-427, August.
- Doug Miller & A. Colin Cameron & Jonah B. Gelbach, 2006. "Bootstrap-Based Improvements for Inference with Clustered Errors," Working Papers 621, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Steigerwald, Douglas G & Erb, Jack, 2007. "Accurately Sized Test Statistics with Misspecified Conditional Homoskedasticity," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt5rv0z5dz, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Johansen, Soren, 2002.
"A small sample correction for tests of hypotheses on the cointegrating vectors,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 195-221, December.
- Johansen, S., 1999. "A Small Sample Correction for Tests of Hypotheses on the Cointegrating Vectors," Economics Working Papers eco99/9, European University Institute.
- Rayner, Robert K., 1991. "Resampling methods for tests in regression models with autocorrelated errors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 281-284, July.
- Moreira, Marcelo J. & Porter, Jack R. & Suarez, Gustavo A., 2009. "Bootstrap validity for the score test when instruments may be weak," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 149(1), pages 52-64, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.