Some Heteroskedasticity Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimators with Improved Finite Sample Properties
AbstractWe examine several modified versions of the heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimator of Hinkley and White. On the basis of sampling experiments which compare the performance of quasi t statistics, we find that one estimator, based on the jackknife, performs better in small samples than the rest. We also examine finite-sample properties using modified critical values based on Edgeworth approximations, as proposed by Rothenberg. In addition, we compare the power of several tests for heteroskedasticity and find that it may be wise to employ the jackknife heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix even in the absence of detected heteroskedasticity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen's University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 537.
Date of creation: 1983
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Econometrics, 29, 1985
Jackknife; Heteroskedasticity; HCCME; Edgeworth approximations;
Other versions of this item:
- MacKinnon, James G. & White, Halbert, 1985. "Some heteroskedasticity-consistent covariance matrix estimators with improved finite sample properties," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 305-325, September.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koenker, Roger, 1981. "A note on studentizing a test for heteroscedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 107-112, September.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.