Inventories and Risk in African Manufacturing
AbstractUsing a panel data set for Zimbabwe which includes firm-specific measures of contractual risk, we show that contractual risk has a major effect on the holding input stocks and, to a lesser extent, the constitution of cash reserves. This is consistent with inventories being a hedge against stockout risk. By contrast, firms facing more inter-annual market risk hold less inventories. This suggests that African manufacturers prefer adapting to long-term market fluctuations as they materialise rather than building up inventories. This interpretation is consistent with the finding that high market risk firms also have a low capacity utilisation rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 110 (2000)
Issue (Month): 466 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Marcel Fafchamps & Jan Willem Gunning and Remco Oostendorp, 1999. "Inventories and risk in African manufacturing," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/1999-19, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Jan Willem Gunning & Remco Oostendorp, 1999. "Inventories and risk in African manufacturing," CSAE Working Paper Series 1999-19, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Zeldes, .
"Optimal Consumption with Stochastic Income: Deviations from Certainty Equivalence,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
20-86, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Zeldes, Stephen P, 1989. "Optimal Consumption with Stochastic Income: Deviations from Certainty Equivalence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 275-98, May.
- Bivin, David G, 1986. "Inventories and Interest Rates: A Critique of the Buffer Stock Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 168-76, March.
- Ramey, Valerie A, 1989. "Inventories as Factors of Production and Economic Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 338-54, June.
- Bental, B. & Eden, B., 1992.
"Inventories in a Competitive Environment,"
92-19, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Milne, Alistair, 1994. "The Production Smoothing Model of Inventories Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 399-407, March.
- McIntosh, James, et al, 1993. "Price and Output Adjustment in a Model with Inventories: Econometric Evidence from Categorical Survey Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 657-63, November.
- Deaton, A., 1989.
"Saving And Liquidity Constraints,"
153, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Caplin, Andrew S, 1985. "The Variability of Aggregate Demand with (S, s) Inventory Policies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1395-1409, November.
- West, Kenneth D, 1986.
"A Variance Bounds Test of the Linear Quadratic Inventory Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(2), pages 374-401, April.
- Kenneth D. West, 1985. "A Variance Bounds Test of the Linear Quardractic Inventory Model," NBER Working Papers 1581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tsiang, S C, 1969. "The Precautionary Demand for Money: An Inventory Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(1), pages 99-117, Jan./Feb..
- Darling, Paul & Lovell, Michael C, 1971. "Inventories, Production Smoothing, and the Flexible Accelerator," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 85(2), pages 357-62, May.
- Lieberman, Charles, 1980. "Inventory Demand and Cost of Capital Effects," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(3), pages 348-56, August.
- Fafchamps, Marcel, 1997. "Trade credit in Zimbabwean manufacturing," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 795-815, May.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1985.
"Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 370-79, October.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 2002. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Paul Collier & Jan Willem Gunning, 1998.
"Explaining African economic performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/1997-02.2, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Alan S. Blinder & Louis J. Maccini, 1991. "Taking Stock: A Critical Assessment of Recent Research on Inventories," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 73-96, Winter.
- Kahn, James A, 1987. "Inventories and the Volatility of Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 667-79, September.
- Irvine, F Owen, Jr, 1981. "Retail Inventory Investment and the Cost of Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 633-48, September.
- Powell, James L., 1984. "Least absolute deviations estimation for the censored regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 303-325, July.
- Naish, Howard F, 1994. "Production Smoothing in the Linear Quadratic Inventory Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 864-75, July.
- Mosser, Patricia C, 1991. "Trade Inventories and (S, s)," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1267-86, November.
- Ramey, Valerie A, 1991. "Nonconvex Costs and the Behavior of Inventories," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 306-34, April.
- Krane, Spencer D, 1994. "The Distinction between Inventory Holding and Stockout Costs: Implications for Target Inventories, Asymmetric Adjustment, and the Effect of Aggregation on Production Smoothing," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(1), pages 117-36, February.
- Fafchamps Marcel, 2002.
"Spontaneous Market Emergence,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-37, June.
- Arne Bigsten & Mans Söderbom, 2006.
"What Have We Learned from a Decade of Manufacturing Enterprise Surveys in Africa?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 21(2), pages 241-265.
- Bigsten, Arne & Soderbom, Mans, 2005. "What have we learned from a decade of manufacturing enterprise surveys in Africa ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3798, The World Bank.
- Sundaram-Stukel, Reka & Deininger, Klaus W. & Jin, Songqing, 2006. "Fostering growth of the rural non-farm sector in Africa: The Case of Tanzania," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21165, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Janvier D. Nkurunziza, 2005. "Credit Can Precipitate Firm Failure: Evidence from Kenyan Manufacturing in the 1990s," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2005-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Rune Jansen Hagen, 2002. "Marginalisation in the Context of Globalisation: Why Is Africa so Poor?," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 28, pages 147-179.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Sur, Mona, 2007.
"Sri Lanka's Rural Non-Farm Economy: Removing Constraints to Pro-Poor Growth,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 2056-2078, December.
- Jin, Songqing & Deininger, Klaus W. & Sur, Mona, 2005. "Sri Lanka's Rural Non-farm Economy: Removing Constraints to Pro-poor Growth," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19280, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Janvier D. Nkurunziza, 2005. "The Effect of Credit on Growth and Convergence of Firms in Kenyan Manufacturing," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2005-01, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fisman, Raymond, 2001. "Trade Credit and Productive Efficiency in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 311-321, February.
- Guasch, J. Luis & Kogan, Joseph, 2003. "Just-in-case inventories - a cross-country analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3012, The World Bank.
- Quattri, Maria A. & Ozanne, Adam & Wang, Xioabing & Hall, Alastair R., 2011. "On The Role Of The Brokerage Institution In The Development Of Ethiopian Agricultural Markets," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108941, Agricultural Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.