On the Determinants of Equity International Risk Premium: Are Emerging Zones Different?
AbstractThis article contributes to the financial literature by investigating the formation of the international stock risk premium in emerging market zones. Our results from the estimation of a dynamic augmented capital asset pricing model show that the currency risk premium is the most important component of the total premium followed by the global market premium. As for the regional risk, our findings show that it is significantly priced for all studied emerging regions but its contribution to the total risk premium is weak.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
international asset pricing; equity risk premium; financial integration; emerging markets; multivariate GARCH;
Other versions of this item:
- Khaled Guesmi & Ilyes Abid & Mohamed Hedi Arouri & Frédéric Teulon, 2014. "On the determinants of equity international risk premium : Are emerging zones different ?," Working Papers 2014-322, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- F0 - International Economics - - General
- F5 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arouri, Mohamed El Hedi & Nguyen, Duc Khuong & Pukthuanthong, Kuntara, 2012. "An international CAPM for partially integrated markets: Theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2473-2493.
- Khaled Guesmi & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2011.
"How strong is the global integration of emerging market regions? An empirical assessment,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2011-9, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Guesmi, Khaled & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2011. "How strong is the global integration of emerging market regions? An empirical assessment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2517-2527.
- Khaled Guesmi, 2011. "Time varying regional integration in emerging stock market," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(2), pages 1082-1094.
- Francesca Carrieri, 2001. "The Effects of Liberalisation on Market and Currency Risk in the European Union," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 7(2), pages 259-290.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri, 2006.
"Are Stock Markets Integrated? Evidence from a Partially Segmented ICAPM with Asymmetric Effects,"
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri, 2006. "Are Stock Markets Integrated? Evidence from a Partially Segmented ICAPM with Asymmetric Effects," Frontiers in Finance and Economics, SKEMA Business School, vol. 3(2), pages 70-94, December.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri, 2009. "Are Stock Markets Integrated? Evidence from a Partially Segmented ICAPM with Asymmetric Effects," Papers 0905.3875, arXiv.org.
- Carrieri, Francesca & Errunza, Vihang & Hogan, Ked, 2007. "Characterizing World Market Integration through Time," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(04), pages 915-940, December.
- Tai, Chu-Sheng, 2007. "Market integration and contagion: Evidence from Asian emerging stock and foreign exchange markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 264-283, December.
- Gikas A. Hardouvelis & Dimitrios Malliaropulos & Richard Priestley, 2006.
"EMU and European Stock Market Integration,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(1), pages 365-392, January.
- Pukthuanthong, Kuntara & Roll, Richard, 2009. "Global market integration: An alternative measure and its application," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 214-232, November.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1994.
"Time-Varying World Market Integration,"
NBER Working Papers
4843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Errunza, Vihang & Losq, Etienne, 1985. " International Asset Pricing under Mild Segmentation: Theory and Test," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 105-24, March.
- De Santis, Giorgio & imrohoroglu, Selahattin, 1997.
"Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 561-579, August.
- Giorgio De Santis & Selahattin Imrohoroglu, 1994. "Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Gerard, Bruno & Thanyalakpark, Kessara & Batten, Jonathan A., 2003. "Are the East Asian markets integrated? Evidence from the ICAPM," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(5-6), pages 585-607.
- De Santis, Giorgio & Gerard, Bruno & Hillion, Pierre, 2003. "The relevance of currency risk in the EMU," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(5-6), pages 427-462.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-87, September.
- Khaled Guesmi & Duc Khuong Nguyen & Frédéric Teulon, 2013.
"Further evidence on the determinants of regional stock market integration in Latin America,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 10(3), pages 397-413, December.
- Khaled Guesmi & Duc Khuong Nguyen & Frédéric Teulon, 2014. "Further evidence on the determinants of regional stock market integration in Latin America," Working Papers 2014-415, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Selim Mankaï & Khaled Guesmi, 2014.
"Robust Portfolio Protection: A Scenarios-Based Approach,"
2014-394, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Selim Mankaï & Khaled Guesmi, 2014. "Robust Portfolio Protection: A Scenarios-Based Approach," EconomiX Working Papers 2014-35, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.