Women Participation, Quality Of Government And Economic Development In Europe, 2000-2007
AbstractWe analyze women participation, in economic and social activities, in Europe for the period 2000-2007, and the positive effects of education, quality of government and economic development on quality of life and female participation. We estimate some econometric models which have into account the positive impact of education in gender equality opportunities as well as the positive impact of gender equality on indicators of socio-economic well-being. In spite of some advancement in equality of opportunities for women in working activities, we find a marked stagnation of opportunities for highly prepared women in decision making and leadership, particularly in countries where voice of citizens do not find enough channels of communication with Government and where television, press media, and several social institutions, are under tight control of powerful political and business groups which show little concern about female equality of opportunities based on merit and capacity. We suggest policies addressed to increase equality of opportunities for women in European countries, particularly related with those problems denounced by the European Womenïs Lobby about difficulties for female leaders to reach an even participation in decision making and media. This would help to advance in quality of life for all the society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Applied Econometrics and International Development.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B54 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Feminist Economics
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guisan, M.C., 2009. "Government Effectiveness, Education, Economic Development And Well-Being: Analysis Of European Countries In Comparison With The United States And Canada, 2000-2007," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- Guisan, M.Carmen & Aguayo, Eva & Exposito, Pilar, 2001. "Economic growth and cycles: Cross-country models of education, industry and fertility and international comparisons," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 1(1), pages 9-37.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Robert J. Barro, 1997.
"Schooling Quality in a Cross Section of Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
6198, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask M. Carmen Guisan to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.