Decision for the Optimal Location -- Waiting Timing Relationship in A Real Options Model
AbstractThe Cobb-Douglas production function with Abel's (1983) model is extended herein, and real options analysis for entry-exit decision making with Dixit's (1989) model under exchange rate uncertainty. A general form with the first order of degree homothetic production functions is also considered by the rule of decision-making in the proposed model. The firm is risk neutral and this study adopts the real options analysis for valuing the behavior of the transferable location. This investigation extends Lin and Wu (2002) from considering only threshold value to expected arrival time for exporter deciding to transfer the production location form domestic to foreign and Management's flexibility could be explained to Time's flexibility. Furthermore, a closed form solution of the di?erence of the expected arrival time for exporter deciding to transfer its location obtained by the real options analysis and NPV method, sensitivity analysis, and some characteristics of optimal production strategy are sought, providing for another way of thinking.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for AEF in its journal Annals of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 5 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Batch process; Uncertainty; Real options; Expected arrival time; Operations research; Financial mathematics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blonigen, Bruce A, 1997. "Firm-Specific Assets and the Link between Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 87(3), pages 447-65, June.
- Alvarez, Luis H. R., 1999. "Optimal exit and valuation under demand uncertainty: A real options approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 320-329, April.
- Grenadier, Steven R. & Weiss, Allen M., 1997. "Investment in technological innovations: An option pricing approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 397-416, June.
- KaSaundra M. Tomlin, 2000. "The Effects of Model Specification on Foreign Direct Investment Models: An Application of Count Data Models," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, Southern Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 460-468, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.