Labor Market Adjustment in Chile
AbstractThis paper examines the reasons behind the sudden increase and the slow recovery of unemployment in Chile after the economic slowdown that took place in 1998 as a result of the Asian Crisis. To do so, we analyze the response of employment and wages to this economic shock and show that Chile exhibits substantial wage rigidity. We argue that a large increase in minimum wages, pre-determined before the slowdown, and a widespread practice of negotiating inflation-indexed long-term wage contracts prevented wages from adjusting to the changing economic conditions and slowed down employment growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION in its journal JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Response to Asian crisis; wage rigidity; employment; Chile;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jaime Gatica & Pilar Romaguera, 2005. "El Mercado Laboral en Chile Nuevos Temas y Desaf�os," Documentos de Trabajo 210, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- World Bank, 2007. "Chile : Investment Climate Assessment, Volume 2. Background Chapters," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7716, The World Bank.
- Andalón, Mabel & Pagés, Carmen, 2008. "Minimum Wages in Kenya," IZA Discussion Papers 3390, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:idb:brikps:28178 is not listed on IDEAS
- World Bank, 2007. "Chile : Investment Climate Assessment, Volume 1. Executive Summary and Policy Recommendations," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7695, The World Bank.
- repec:idb:brikps:21778 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Bernal).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.