Theorical and empirical implications of the new definition of unemployment in colombia
AbstractIn June 2000 Colombia adopted a new definition of unemployment following the standars of the International Labour Organisation (ILO). This change implied a reduction of the unemployment rate of about two (percentage) points. In this paper we contrast the Colombian case with other countries´experiences in terms of the methodological transformation and its empirical implications. Afterwards, we test the empirical support of the change of methodology. Our results suggest specific implications on structural unemployment and its relationship to unemployment people´s educational profile; therefore, they challenge the practical application of the ILO´s standard unemployment definition to the Colombian case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO in its journal REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Unemployment; ILO classification; labour force states; measurement errors;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen R. G. Jones & W. Craig Riddell, .
"The Measurement Of Unemployment: An Empirical Approach,"
Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers
09, McMaster University.
- Stephen R. G. Jones & W. Craig Riddell, 1999. "The Measurement of Unemployment: An Empirical Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 147-162, January.
- Christopher J. Flinn & James J. Heckman, 1982.
"Are Unemployment and Out of the Labor Force Behaviorally Distinct Labor Force States?,"
NBER Working Papers
0979, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flinn, Christopher J & Heckman, James J, 1983. "Are Unemployment and Out of the Labor Force Behaviorally Distinct Labor Force States?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(1), pages 28-42, January.
- Strobl, Eric & Byrne, David, 2002.
"Defining Unemployment in Developing Countries: Evidence from Trinidad and Tobago,"
IZA Discussion Papers
659, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Byrne, David & Strobl, Eric, 2004. "Defining unemployment in developing countries: evidence from Trinidad and Tobago," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 465-476, February.
- Garrido, Luis & Toharia, Luis, 2004. "What does it take to be (counted as) unemployed? The case of Spain," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 507-523, August.
- Andrea Brandolini & Piero Cipollone & Eliana Viviano, 2006.
"Does The Ilo Definition Capture All Unemployment?,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 153-179, 03.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés Felipe García & Carlos Esteban Posada, .
"La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
410, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Arango Luis Eduardo & Andrés Felipe Garcia & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2008. "La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Luis Eduardo Arango & Andrés Felipe García & Carlos Esteban Posada, 2006. "La metodología de la Encuesta Continua de Hogares y el empalme de las series del mercado laboral urbano de Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003039, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Guataquí R., Juan Carlos & García S., Andrés Felipe & Rodríguez A., Mauricio, 2010.
"El Perfil de la Informalidad Laboral en Colombia,"
PERFIL DE COYUNTURA ECONÓMICA,
UNIVERSIDAD DE ANTIOQUIA - CIE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicaciones Economía).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.