On the Consumer Behavior in Urban Colombia: The Case of Bogotá
AbstractIn this paper we are interested in estimating semiparametric Engel curves for different categoriesof goods using data drawn from the 1997 Family Expenditure Survey (ECV1997). Most of the papersabout consumer behavior include food and clothing shares in the analysis. Since people in developingcountries spend a great deal of time going to work, through their use of public transportation, then it is interesting to take this into account in this study. Due to joint determination of expenditure shares and total xpenditure, we adjust for any possible endogeneity,which is a familiar problem in demand analysis.So, not only estimation but also adaptive testing is provided by non-parametric procedures. Our estimations produce quadratic food and transportation Engel curves, which is an interesting result.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE in its journal ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Engel curve; expenditure share; semiparametric model; endogeneity; instrumental variable; bootstrap.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Atuesta, Laura & Paredes, Araya, 2011. "A Spatial Cost of Living Index for Colombia using a Microeconomic Approach and Censored Data," MPRA Paper 30580, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Darwin Cortés & Jorge Eduardo Pérez, 2010.
"El consumo de los hogares colombianos, 2006-2007: estimación de sistemas de demanda,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
007271, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Darwin Cortes & Jorge Perez, 2010. "El Consumo de los Hogares Colombianos, 2006-2007: Estimación de Sistemas de Demanda," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espe).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.