Exchange rate pass-through and its determinants in Canadian manufacturing industries
AbstractIn this paper the pass-through of exchange rate changes into the real prices of domestically produced and imported goods in Canadian manufacturing industries is examined through industry estimates of the pass-through elasticities and a cross-section analysis of their determinants. We find that the domestic pass-through elasticity increases with the effect of the exchange rate on domestic costs of production, the export share, the elasticity of substitution between imports and domestic goods, and the domestic advertising intensity. The import elasticity increases with the elasticity of substitution and the rate of price protection and decreases with advertising intensity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peter Rowland, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Domestic Prices: The Case Of Colombia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Mirdala, Rajmund, 2013.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices under Different Exchange Rate Regimes,"
53209, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rajmund MIRDALA, 2013. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Domestic Prices Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences Quarterly, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(4), pages 466-, December.
- Rajmund Mirdala, 2014. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices under Different Exchange Rate Regimes," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1070, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Baldwin, John R. & Yan, Beiling, 2006. "Les mouvements cycliques du taux de change et les prix dans les secteurs canadien et americain de la fabrication," Serie de documents de recherche sur l'analyse economique (AE) 2006041f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Stan Kardasz & Ken Stollery, 2004. "Exchange Rate Pass-through in Canadian Manufacturing: Its Direct and Indirect Components," Working Papers 04001, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics, revised Jan 2004.
- Baldwin, John R. & Yan, Beiling, 2006.
"Exchange Rate Cycles and Canada- U.S. Manufacturing Prices,"
Economic Analysis (EA) Research Paper Series
2006041e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- John R. Baldwin & Beiling Yan, 2007. "Exchange Rate Cycles and Canada/US Manufacturing Prices," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 143(3), pages 508-533, October.
- Mallick, Sushanta & Marques, Helena, 2012. "Pricing to market with trade liberalization: The role of market heterogeneity and product differentiation in India’s exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 310-336.
- Baldwin, John R. & Yan, Beiling, 2008. "Domestic and foreign influences on Canadian prices," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 546-557, October.
- Andrés González & Hernán Rincóm & Norberto Rodríguez, 2008. "La transmisión de los choques a la tasa de cambio sobre la inflación," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 005089, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Peter Rowland, . "Exchange Rate Pass-Throught to Domestic Prices: The Case of Colombia," Borradores de Economia 254, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Olive, Michael, 2004. "Pricing behaviour in Japanese manufacturing: a comparative study," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 417-429, December.
- Peter Rowland, 2003. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through To Domestic Prices: The Case Of Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002683, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Andrés González & Hernán Rincón & Norberto Rodríguez, . "La transmisión de los choques a la tasa de cambio sobre la inflación de los bienes importados en presencia de asimetrías," Borradores de Economia 532, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.