Advanced Search
MyIDEAS: Login

Casuística de acceso a la actualización de la prestación por desempleo: bases para un modelo de decisión

Contents:

Author Info

  • Sonia Martín López

    ()
    (Universidad San Pablo CEU)

  • Gustavo Lejarriaga Pérez de las Vacas

    ()
    (Universidad Complutense de Madrid)

  • Javier Iturrioz del Campo

    ()
    (Universidad San Pablo CEU)

Registered author(s):

    Abstract

    Since 1985, when Royal Decree 1044/85, dated 19 June 1985, provided for the receipt of unemployment benefit in a lump sum payment, this instrument has enabled the creation of several professional and business initiatives that have undoubtedly contributed to the generation of stable employment. There have been numerous stages in the development of this tool to date. In each of them different regulations have been applied and the requirements for entitlement to this option have also varied. To begin with, in order to qualify claimants either had to have started activity as self-employed workers (this requirement was later dropped) or have become a member of an associated labour cooperative or employee-owned company. In 2002, by virtue of Act 45/2002, the provision for the capitalisation of unemployment benefit was restored as a general measure for workers setting up in self-employment. As a result, they were entitled to use 20% of their outstanding benefit payments to subsidise the start of their business activity, and the remaining 80% to pay their monthly Social Security contributions. Further changes are being made in this area as a result of the National Budget for 2005. In view of the above, this study sets out to make a financial assessment of the alternatives open to an unemployed worker in capitalising unemployment benefit, either as a freelancer or as a member of an associated labour cooperative or employee-owned company. By applying financial theory and using techniques such as decision and evaluation trees through real options, the aim is to lay the foundations for a decision-making model that encompasses all the options for accessing the lump sum unemployment benefit payment.

    Download Info

    If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
    File URL: http://www.ciriec-revistaeconomia.es/banco/15_Lejarriaga_et_al_52.pdf
    Download Restriction: no

    Bibliographic Info

    Article provided by CIRIEC-España in its journal CIRIEC-España, revista de economía pública, social y cooperativa.

    Volume (Year): (2005)
    Issue (Month): 52 (August)
    Pages: 307-333

    as in new window
    Handle: RePEc:cic:revcir:y:2005:i:52:p:307-333

    Contact details of provider:
    Postal: Av. dels Tarongers, s/n., Despacho 2P21, 46022 Valencia
    Phone: 96 382 84 89 / 96 356 22 48
    Fax: 96 382 84 92
    Email:
    Web page: http://www.ciriec.es/
    More information through EDIRC

    Related research

    Keywords: Capitalisation of unemployment benefit; lump sum payment; employee-owned companies; associated labour cooperatives; self-employed workers; employment; joint stakeholder companies; social economy; entrepreneurs.;

    Find related papers by JEL classification:

    References

    No references listed on IDEAS
    You can help add them by filling out this form.

    Citations

    Lists

    This item is not listed on Wikipedia, on a reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.

    Statistics

    Access and download statistics

    Corrections

    When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cic:revcir:y:2005:i:52:p:307-333. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

    For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafael Chaves).

    If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

    If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.

    If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.

    If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

    Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.