Noncash Income, Equivalence Scales, and the Measurement of Economic Well-Being
AbstractLittle attention has been paid to the importance of consistency between the specifications of the income and the equivalence scales used in measuring economic well-being when noncash income is included in the definition of income. This article finds that inconsistency between the income and needs sides of a comparison can be important when some types of noncash income are included. An upward bias in the measured economic status of the aged when Medicare is included in income and an ordinary equivalence scale is used is presented as an example of the important effects of this consistency problem. Copyright 1997 by The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in its journal Review of Income & Wealth.
Volume (Year): 43 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6586
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paulus, Alari & Sutherland, Holly & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2009.
"The distributional impact of in kind public benefits in European countries,"
EUROMOD Working Papers
EM10/09, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Alari Paulus & Holly Sutherland & Panos Tsakloglou, 2010. "The distributional impact of in-kind public benefits in European countries," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(2), pages 243-266.
- Paulus, Alari & Sutherland, Holly & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2009. "The Distributional Impact of In Kind Public Benefits in European Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 4581, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Callan, Tim & Keane, Claire, 2009.
"Non-Cash Benefits and the Distribution of Economic Welfare,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3954, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Callan, Tim & Keane, Claire, 2009. "Non-cash Benefits and the Distribution of Economic Welfare," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 40(1), pages 49-71.
- Tim Callan & Claire Keane, 2008. "Non-Cash Benefits and the Distribution of Economic Welfare," Papers WP245, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Gerlinde Verbist & Michael Föster & Vaalavou, M., 2013. "GINI DP 74: The Impact of Publicly Provided Services on the Distribution of Resources: Review of New Results and Methods," GINI Discussion Papers 74, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- Rolf Aaberge & Manudeep Bhuller & Audun Langørgen & Magne Mogstad, 2010.
"The distributional impact of public services when needs differ,"
621, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Bhuller, Manudeep & Langørgen, Audun & Mogstad, Magne, 2010. "The distributional impact of public services when needs differ," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(9-10), pages 549-562, October.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Bhuller, Manudeep & Langørgen, Audun & Mogstad, Magne, 2010. "The Distributional Impact of Public Services When Needs Differ," IZA Discussion Papers 4826, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Verbist, G. (Gerlinde) & Matsaganis, M. (Manos), 2012. "GINI DP 53: The Redistributive Capacity of Services in the EU," GINI Discussion Papers 53, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- Tim Callan & Tim Smeeding & Panos Tsakloglou, 2007. "Distributional Effects of Public Education Transfers in Seven European Countries," Papers WP207, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Christos Koutsampelas & Panos Tsakloglou, 2012.
"The distribution of full income in Greece,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
03-2012, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Koutsampelas, Christos & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2012. "The Distribution of Full Income in Greece," IZA Discussion Papers 6396, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Panos Tsakloglou & Christos Koutsampelas, 2012. "The distribution of full income in Greece," DEOS Working Papers 1207, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Ron Crawford & Grant Johnston, 2004. "Household incomes in New Zealand: The impact of the market, taxes and government spending, 1987/88–1997/98," Treasury Working Paper Series 04/20, New Zealand Treasury.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.