Communication Costs and Trade of Differentiated Goods
AbstractThis paper investigates how the decline of communication costs affects the pattern of trade in differentiated goods. It is found that the development of information technology (IT) has significantly increased US imports of differentiated goods after the 1970s. In addition, the modern communication technology has assisted small economies from exporting homogeneous goods to exporting more and more differentiated goods in recent years. Copyright � 2006 The Authors; Journal compilation � Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2006.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bojnec, Stefan & Ferto, Imre, 2009. "Communication Costs and Agro-Food Trade in OECD Countries," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland, Agricultural Economics Society 50937, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Murat Genç & David Law, 2014. "A Gravity Model of Barriers to Trade in New Zealand," Treasury Working Paper Series 14/05, New Zealand Treasury.
- Jonathan Timmis, . "The Internet and International Trade in Goods," Discussion Papers 12/03, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Jonathan Timmis, . "The Internet and International Trade in Goods," Discussion Papers 12/08, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Wolf-Heimo Grieben & Fuat Sener, 2009. "Labor Unions, Globalization, and Mercantilism," CESifo Working Paper Series 2889, CESifo Group Munich.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Philippe Martin & Paolo Pesenti, 2008.
"Varieties and the Transfer Problem: The Extensive Margin of Current Account Adjustment,"
NBER Working Papers
13795, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Martin, Philippe & Pesenti, Paolo, 2008. "Varieties and the Transfer Problem: the Extensive Margin of Current Account Adjustment," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 6660, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Philippe Martin & Paolo Pesenti, 2008. "Varieties and the Transfer Problem: The Extensive Margin of Current Account Adjustment," RSCAS Working Papers, European University Institute 2008/01, European University Institute.
- Krautheim, Sebastian, 2012. "Heterogeneous firms, exporter networks and the effect of distance on international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 27-35.
- Fleming, Euan M. & Thiemann, Franziska & Mueller, Rolf A.E., 2011. "Information and Communication Technology and the Global Flow of Wine: A Gravity Model of ICT in Wine Trade," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland, European Association of Agricultural Economists 114353, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jonathan Timmis, 2013. "Internet Adoption and Firm Exports in Developing Economies," Discussion Papers 2013-05, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Azim M. Sadikov, 2007. "Border and Behind-The-Border Trade Barriers and Country Exports," IMF Working Papers 07/292, International Monetary Fund.
- Canals, Claudia & Şener, Fuat, 2014. "Offshoring and intellectual property rights reform," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 108(C), pages 17-31.
- Tang, Linghui, 2006. "What accounts for the growth of trade in differentiated goods: Economic causes or technological imperatives?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 204-209, May.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Martin, Philippe & Pesenti, Paolo, 2013. "Varieties and the transfer problem," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 1-12.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.