Does Foreign Aid Promote Growth? Exploring the Role of Financial Liberalization
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of foreign aid on the process of economic development in India by controlling for the degree of financial liberalization. A composite index is constructed using the method of principal component analysis to capture the joint influence of various financial sector policies. The results show that while foreign aid exerts a direct negative influence on output expansion, its indirect effect via financial liberalization is positive. Therefore, an important implication of the findings in this paper is that adequate liberalization in the financial system of the host country is a crucial requirement for effective foreign aid. Our results are robust to a number of control variables and estimation techniques. Copyright � 2010 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1363-6669
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ang, James & Sen, Kumal, 2009.
"Private Saving in India and Malaysia Compared: The Role of Financial Liberalization and Expected Pension Benefits,"
14413, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James Ang & Kunal Sen, 2011. "Private saving in India and Malaysia compared: the roles of financial liberalization and expected pension benefits," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 247-267, October.
- James Ang & Kunal Sen, 2008. "Private Saving In India And Malaysia Compared: The Role Of Financial Liberalization And Expected Pension Benefits," Monash Economics Working Papers 13/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Hoda Abd El Hamid Ali, 2013. "Foreign Aid and Economic Growth in Egypt: A Cointegration Analysis," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(3), pages 743-751.
- Das, Debasish Kumar & Dutta, Champa Bati, 2012.
"Global financial crisis and foreign development assistance shocks in least developing countries,"
40281, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Debasish Kumar Das & Champa Bati Dutta, 2013. "Global Financial Crisis And Foreign Development Assistance Shocks In Least Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 1-41, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.