Horizontale Fusionen auf zweiseitigen Märkten am Beispiel von Printmedien
AbstractThe recent discussion about the revision of German merger control underlines the relevance of media economic questions. This discussion frequently neglects the particularities of media markets, for example the mutual interconnection of advertising and media markets, i.e. of "two-sided markets". In this paper the impact of "two-sided markets" on mergers is analyzed. The results indicate that an intensive analysis of each case because of the heterogeneity of each market and a stronger economization of merger control would be useful. The basis for an economization could be quantitative analyses that are conducted using existing market data. The print media market is an example of the peculiarities of "two-sided markets" at which network externalities lead to pricing behavior that deviates from that on normal markets. Copyright Verein für Socialpolitik und Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Verein für Socialpolitik in its journal Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik.
Volume (Year): 7 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1465-6493
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nathalie Sonnac, 2000. "Readers’ Attitudes Toward Press Advertising : Are They Ad-Lovers or Ad-Averse ?," Working Papers 2000-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Dewenter, Ralf & Kaiser, Ulrich, 2005.
"Anmerkungen zur oekonomischen Bewertung von Fusionen auf dem Printmedienmarkt,"
35/2005, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Dewenter, Ralf & Kaiser, Ulrich, 2005. "Anmerkungen zur ökonomischen Bewertung von Fusionen auf dem Printmedienmarkt," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-92, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Hans Christian Kongsted, 2005.
"Do Magazines' "Companion Websites" Cannibalize the Demand for the Print Version?,"
CAM Working Papers
2005-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Hans Christian Kongsted, 2007. "Do Magazines' ”Companion Websites” Cannibalize the Demand for the Print Version?," CIE Discussion Papers 2007-03, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Kongsted, Hans Christian, 2005. "Do Magazines' "Companion Websites" Cannibalize the Demand for the Print Version?," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-49, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Wright, Julian, 2004.
"Price Structure in Two-sided Markets: Evidence from the Magazine Industry?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-80, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Wright, Julian, 2006. "Price structure in two-sided markets: Evidence from the magazine industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-28, January.
- David Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2007.
"The Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms,"
Competition Policy International, vol. 3.
- David S. Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2005. "The Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms," NBER Working Papers 11603, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferguson, James M, 1983. "Daily Newspaper Advertising Rates, Local Media Cross-Ownership, Newspaper Chains, and Media Competition," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(3), pages 635-54, October.
- Thompson, R S, 1984. "Structure and Conduct in Local Advertising Markets: The Case of Irish Provincial Newspapers," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 241-49, December.
- Argentesi, Elena & Ivaldi, Marc, 2005. "Market Definition in the Printed Media Industry: Theory and Practice," CEPR Discussion Papers 5096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martin Peitz, 2006. "Marktplätze und indirekte Netzwerkeffekte," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7(3), pages 317-333, 08.
- Beschorner, Patrick Frank Ernst, 2008. "Do Consumers Benefit from Concentration in the New Economy? A Review of Google's Mergers, Acquisitions, and Arrangements," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-121, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.