Investment and Q in Spanish Manufacturing Firms
AbstractIn this paper, the authors present estimates of Tobin's Q for a panel of Spanish firms over the period 1983-87 and test the Q theory of investment. The results are threefold. First, Q is significant in the investment equation but a variable proxying for liquidity constraints is also significant. Second, once those variables are included, sales are not significant. Third, the adjustment costs implied by the authors' estimated parameter are lower than those found in international empirical literature. Copyright 1994 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 56 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cummins, J.G. & Hassett, K.A. & Hubbard, R.G., 1995.
"tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison,"
95-28, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cummins, Jason G. & Hassett, Kevin A. & Hubbard, R. Glenn, 1996. "Tax reforms and investment: A cross-country comparison," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 237-273, October.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & R. Glenn Hubbard, 1996. "Tax Reforms and Investment: A Cross-Country Comparison," NBER Working Papers 5232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Benito, 2002. "Financial pressure, monetary policy effects and inventory adjustment by UK and Spanish firms," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0226, Banco de Espa�a.
- Forster, Katrin, 2005. "Stock Prices and Real Economic Activity Empirical Results for Germany," Research Notes 20, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Sílvio Rendon, 2004.
"Job Creation and Investment in Imperfect Capital and Labor Markets,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2004/35, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Silvio Rendon, 2006. "Job Creation and Investment in Imperfect Capital and Labor Markets," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 432, Society for Computational Economics.
- Silvio Rendón, 2000.
"Job creation under liquidity constraints: The Spanish case,"
Economics Working Papers
488, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Silvio Rendón, 2001. "Job Creation under Liquidity Constraints: the Spanish Case," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0101, Banco de Espa�a.
- Cummins, Jason & Hassett, Kevin & Oliner, Stephen, 1997.
"Investment Behavior, Observable Expectations and Internal Funds,"
97-30, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & Stephen D. Oliner, 2006. "Investment Behavior, Observable Expectations, and Internal Funds," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 796-810, June.
- Jason G. Cummins & Kevin A. Hassett & Stephen D. Oliner, 1999. "Investment behavior, observable expectations, and internal funds," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-27, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edward F. Buffie & Manoj Atolia, 2006.
"Resurrecting the Weak Credibility Hypothesis in Models of Exchange-Rate-Based Stabilization,"
wp2009_01_03, Department of Economics, Florida State University, revised Aug 2007.
- Buffie, Edward F. & Atolia, Manoj, 2012. "Resurrecting the weak credibility hypothesis in models of exchange-rate-based stabilization," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 361-372.
- Garcia-Marco, Teresa & Ocana, Carlos, 1999. "The effect of bank monitoring on the investment behavior of Spanish firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(11), pages 1579-1603, November.
- Ángel Estrada & Javier Vallés, 1998. "Investment and financial structure in Spanish manufacturing firms," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 22(3), pages 337-359, September.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1998.
"Capital-Market Imperfections and Investment,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(1), pages 193-225, March.
- Andrew Benito, 2003. "The capital structure decisions of firms: is there a pecking order?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0310, Banco de Espa�a.
- Cristina Barceló, 2006.
"A Q-model of labour demand,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0626, Banco de Espa�a.
- Driffield, Nigel & Pal, Sarmistha, 2001. "The East Asian crisis and financing corporate investment: is there a cause for concern?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 507-527.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.