Bootstrap predictive inference for ARIMA processes
AbstractIn this study, we propose a new bootstrap strategy to obtain prediction intervals for autoregressive integrated moving-average processes. Its main advantage over other bootstrap methods previously proposed for autoregressive integrated processes is that variability due to parameter estimation can be incorporated into prediction intervals without requiring the backward representation of the process. Consequently, the procedure is very flexible and can be extended to processes even if their backward representation is not available. Furthermore, its implementation is very simple. The asymptotic properties of the bootstrap prediction densities are obtained. Extensive finite-sample Monte Carlo experiments are carried out to compare the performance of the proposed strategy vs. alternative procedures. The behaviour of our proposal equals or outperforms the alternatives in most of the cases. Furthermore, our bootstrap strategy is also applied for the first time to obtain the prediction density of processes with moving-average components. Copyright 2004 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Time Series Analysis.
Volume (Year): 25 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pascual, Lorenzo & Romo, Juan & Ruiz, Esther, 2005.
"Bootstrap prediction intervals for power-transformed time series,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 219-235.
- Lorenzo Pascual & Juan Romo & Esther Ruiz, 2001. "Bootstrap Prediction Intervals For Power-Transformed Time Series," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws010503, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Òscar Jordá & Malte Knuppel & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2012.
"Empirical simultaneous prediction regions for path-forecasts,"
Working Paper Series
2012-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jordà, Òscar & Knüppel, Malte & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2013. "Empirical simultaneous prediction regions for path-forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 456-468.
- Helmut Luetkepohl, 2009.
"Forecasting Aggregated Time Series Variables: A Survey,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2009/17, European University Institute.
- Helmut Lütkepohl, 2010. "Forecasting Aggregated Time Series Variables: A Survey," OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,CIRET, vol. 2010(2), pages 1-26.
- Jordà, Òscar & Knüppel, Malte & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2010.
"Empirical Simultaneous Confidence Regions for Path-Forecasts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7797, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jordà, Òscar & Knüppel, Malte & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2010. "Empirical simultaneous confidence regions for path-forecasts," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2010,06, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Òscar Jordà & Malte Knüppel & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2010. "Empirical Simultaneous Confidence Regions for Path-Forecasts," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/18, European University Institute.
- De Gooijer, Jan G. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2006. "25 years of time series forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 443-473.
- Helmut Luetkepohl, 2007. "Econometric Analysis with Vector Autoregressive Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/11, European University Institute.
- Helmut Luetkepohl, 2011. "Vector Autoregressive Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2011/30, European University Institute.
- Alonso, A.M. & Berrendero, J.R. & Hernandez, A. & Justel, A., 2006. "Time series clustering based on forecast densities," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 762-776, November.
- Pascual, Lorenzo & Romo, Juan & Ruiz, Esther, 2006. "Bootstrap prediction for returns and volatilities in GARCH models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(9), pages 2293-2312, May.
- Hee-Young Kim & Yousung Park, 2008. "A non-stationary integer-valued autoregressive model," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 49(3), pages 485-502, July.
- Carlos Velasco, 2013. "Comments on: Model-free model-fitting and predictive distributions," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 237-239, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.