Optimal Reinsurance Arrangements Under Tail Risk Measures
AbstractRegulatory authorities demand insurance companies control their risk exposure by imposing stringent risk management policies. This article investigates the optimal risk management strategy of an insurance company subject to regulatory constraints. We provide optimal reinsurance contracts under different tail risk measures and analyze the impact of regulators' requirements on risk sharing in the reinsurance market. Our results underpin adverse incentives for the insurer when compulsory Value-at-Risk risk management requirements are imposed. But economic effects may vary when regulatory constraints involve other risk measures. Finally, we compare the obtained optimal designs to existing reinsurance contracts and alternative risk transfer mechanisms on the capital market. Copyright (c) The Journal of Risk and Insurance, 2009.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The American Risk and Insurance Association in its journal Journal of Risk and Insurance.
Volume (Year): 76 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.wiley.com/bw/journal.asp?ref=0022-4367&site=1
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hirbod Assa, 2014. "On Optimal Reinsurance Policy with Distortion Risk Measures and Premiums," Papers 1406.2950, arXiv.org.
- Chi, Yichun & Tan, Ken Seng, 2013. "Optimal reinsurance with general premium principles," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 180-189.
- Alejandro Balbás & Beatriz Balbás & Antonio Heras, 2010. "Stability of the optimal reinsurance with respect to the risk measure," Business Economics Working Papers wb100201, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Chi, Yichun, 2012. "Optimal reinsurance under variance related premium principles," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 310-321.
- Sordo, Miguel A., 2009. "Comparing tail variabilities of risks by means of the excess wealth order," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 466-469, December.
- Carole Bernard & Shaolin Ji & Weidong Tian, 2013. "An optimal insurance design problem under Knightian uncertainty," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 99-124, November.
- Tan, Ken Seng & Weng, Chengguo & Zhang, Yi, 2011. "Optimality of general reinsurance contracts under CTE risk measure," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 175-187, September.
- Chi, Yichun & Weng, Chengguo, 2013. "Optimal reinsurance subject to Vajda condition," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 179-189.
- Balbás, Alejandro & Balbás, Beatriz & Heras, Antonio, 2011. "Stable solutions for optimal reinsurance problems involving risk measures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 214(3), pages 796-804, November.
- Cui, Wei & Yang, Jingping & Wu, Lan, 2013. "Optimal reinsurance minimizing the distortion risk measure under general reinsurance premium principles," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 74-85.
- Guerra, Manuel & Centeno, M.L., 2012. "Are quantile risk measures suitable for risk-transfer decisions?," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 446-461.
- Alejandro Balbas & Beatriz Balbas & Raquel Balbas, 2013. "Optimal Reinsurance: A Risk Sharing Approach," Risks, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(2), pages 45-56, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.