Location and Growth in the Brazilian Northeast
AbstractClustering of economic performance across jurisdictions has generated considerable research on the spillovers and linkages among geographical neighbors. Much of this work, however, has been aspatial, implying that the influence of location attributes on growth has been largely ignored. In this paper, we examine the contribution of location to regional economic growth using municipio-level data for the Brazilian Northeast-a historically lagging region of the country. We test if productivity among northeastern municipios is converging to a steady state and whether spatial externalities are linked to productivity growth in individual municipios. We find that, conditional on structural characteristics, productivity among municipios is converging at about 3 percent per year. Further, productivity in individual municipios is positively associated with own-structural characteristics but negatively associated with productivity growth in neighboring municipios. This means that there are negative spatial externalities coming from productivity improvements in neighboring regions. Copyright Blackwell Publishing, Inc. 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 43 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-4146
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emmanuel Skoufias & Gladys Lopez-Acevedo, 2009. "Latin America - Determinants of Regional Welfare Disparities within Latin American Countries : Country Case Studies," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3051, The World Bank.
- Carvalho, Alexandre & Lall, Somik V. & Timmins, Christopher, 2006. "Regional subsidies and industrial prospects of lagging regions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3843, The World Bank.
- Guilherme Mendes Resende & Tulio A. Cravo, 2014. "What about regions in regional science? A convergence exercise using different geographic scales of European Union," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 34(3), pages 1381-1395.
- Julie Le Gallo & Sandy Dall’erba, 2005.
"Spatial And Sectoral Productivity Convergence Between European Regions, 1975-2000,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa05p191, European Regional Science Association.
- Julie Le Gallo & Sandy Dall'erba, 2008. "Spatial and sectoral productivity convergence between European regions, 1975-2000," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(4), pages 505-525, November.
- Julie Le Gallo & Sandy Dall'erba, 2005. "Spatial And Sectoral Productivity Convergence Between European Regions, 1975-2000," Urban/Regional 0503004, EconWPA.
- Emmanuel Skoufias & Gladys Lopez-Acevedo, 2009. "Latin America - Determinants of Regional Welfare Disparities within Latin American Countries : Synthesis," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3048, The World Bank.
- Maria ABREU & Henri L.F. DE GROOT & Raymond J.G.M. FLORAX, 2005. "Space And Growth: A Survey Of Empirical Evidence And Methods," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 21, pages 13-44.
- Philippe De Vreyer & Gilles Spielvogel, 2005.
"Spatial externalities between Brazilian municipios and their neighbours,"
DT/2005/11, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Philippe De Vreyer & Gilles Spielvogel, 2005. "Spatial externalities between Brazilian municipios and their neighbours," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 123, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- de Vreyer, Philippe & Spielvogel, Gilles, 2009. "Spatial externalities between Brazilian municipios and their neighbours," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4395, Paris Dauphine University.
- Guilherme Resende & Tulio Cravo, 2013. "What about regions in regional science? An exercise of convergence using different geographic scales of European Union," ERSA conference papers ersa13p772, European Regional Science Association.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2004129 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guilherme Mendes Resende & Alexandre Xavier Ywata de Carvalho & Patrícia Alessandra Morita Sakowski, 2013.
"Evaluating Multiple Spatial Dimensions of Economic Growth in Brazil Using Spatial Panel Data Models (1970 - 2000),"
1830a, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Alexandre Xavier Ywata De Carvalho & Guilherme Mendes Resende & Patrícia Alessandra Morita Sakowski, 2014. "Evaluating Multiple Spatial Dimensionsof Economic Growth In Brazil Using Spatial Panel Data Models, 1970-2000," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 179, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Emiliano Giudici & André Mollick, 2008. "Convergence in the Eastern Caribbean States," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 893-909, December.
- Julie LE GALLO (IERSO, IFReDE-GRES) & Sandy DALL’ERBA (REAL, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), 2004.
"Evaluating the Temporal and the Spatial Heterogeneity of the European Convergence Process, 1980-1999,"
Cahiers du GRES
2004-23, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Julie Le Gallo & Sandy Dall'erba, 2004. "Evaluating the temporal and the spatial heterogeneity of the European convergence process, 1980-1999," Urban/Regional 0401003, EconWPA.
- Habibullah, M.S. & Dayang-Afizzah, A.M., 2008. "Bordering neighbours: Testing for border effect on Malaysia's northern states and Southern Thailand," MPRA Paper 12103, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Philippe De Vreyer & Sandrine Mesplé-Somps & Gilles Spielvogel, 2005. "Spatial externalities between Brazilian municipios and their neighbours," ERSA conference papers ersa05p573, European Regional Science Association.
- Maria Abreu & Henri L.F. de Groot & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2004. "Space and Growth," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-129/3, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.