Capacity and Competition: Empirical Evidence on UK Panel Data
AbstractFollowing D. Kreps and J. Scheinkman (1983), it is common to view the difference between Cournot and Bertrand competition as depending on production capacity. Bertrand undercutting is only feasible if firms have capacity to serve the market gained. If firms are capacity constrained, the Cournot model is more appropriate. This paper tests the capacity and competition idea by looking at the relationship between profits and capacity constraints; if capacity constrained firms become more Cournot-like, it should be positive. Using survey data on capacity constraints merged into a panel industry data set for the United Kingdom, the authors find a robust positive relationship. Copyright 1994 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 42 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ani L. Katchova & Ian M. Sheldon & Mario J. Miranda, 2005. "A dynamic model of oligopoly and oligopsony in the U.S. potato-processing industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 409-428.
- Weiss, Christoph R., 1999. "Determinanten und Zyklik der Profite im produzierenden Ernährungsgewerbe Deutschlands," FE Working Papers 9904, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies.
- Dedman, Elisabeth & Lennox, Clive, 2009. "Perceived competition, profitability and the withholding of information about sales and the cost of sales," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2-3), pages 210-230, December.
- Michal Król, 2012. "‘Everything must go!’- Cournot as a Stable Convention within Strategic Supply Function Competition," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1217, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Albert Banal-Estañol & Paul Heidhues & Rainer Nitsche & Jo Seldeslachts, 2006.
"Merger Clusters during Economic Booms,"
CIG Working Papers
SP II 2006-17, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Michael Pfaffermayr, 1999.
"Conjectural-variation models and supergames with price competition in a differentiated product oligopoly,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 70(3), pages 309-326, October.
- Michael Pfaffermayr, . "Conjectural Variation Models and Supergames with Price Competition in a Differentiated Product Oligopoly," WIFO Working Papers 123, WIFO.
- Ciaran Driver, 2000. "Capacity Utilisation and Excess Capacity: Theory, Evidence, and Policy," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 69-87, February.
- Karmarkar, Uday S. & Rajaram, Kumar, 2012. "Aggregate production planning for process industries under oligopolistic competition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(3), pages 680-689.
- Arrieta Paredes, Mary-Paz, 2004. "Capacity Expansions timing patterns in the United Kingdom’s petroleum refining industry between 1948 and 1998," MPRA Paper 32239, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arrieta Paredes, Mary-Paz, 2004. "The timing of capacity expansions as barriers to mobility in the United Kingdom’s petroleum refining industry between 1948 and 1998," MPRA Paper 32231, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marcos Lima & Marcelo Resende, 2004. "Profit margins and business cycles in the Brazilian industry: a panel data study," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 923-930.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.