Rural-Urban Impacts of CAP Measures in Greece: An Inter-regional SAM Approach
AbstractThis paper evaluates the inter-regional impacts of CAP measures implemented in the rural town of Archanes (Crete, Greece), an area which received considerable EU Agricultural Guarantee and rural development funds during the 1990s. A hybrid, three-area Social Accounting Matrix (SAM) with three groups of households defined by income level is constructed to describe inter-linkages between three rural-urban localities, namely the rural area of Archanes, the less-developed, agriculturally dependent, neighbouring rural area of N. Kazantzakis, and the adjacent urban centre of Heraklion. Results are reported on the diffusion patterns of economic impacts generated by three types of CAP measure: farm income support; aids to increased agricultural productivity; aids to economic diversification. These show that the diffusion of policy-induced economic impacts from Archanes is lower than might be expected for a small open local economy, and that benefits leak primarily to Heraklion and marginally to rural N. Kazantzakis. Finally, generated income benefits seem to accrue mostly in favour of high-income households, especially in the case of Guarantee subsidies. Copyright 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 57 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0021-857X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Midmore, Peter, 2008. "Landscape Conservation And Economic Interdependence: A Case-Study Of Welsh National Parks And The Regional Economy," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 36864, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Burrell, Alison M., 2010. "Is it becoming more difficult to research EU agricultural sector policies?," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93946, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Esposti, R. & Pagliacci, F. & Sotte, F. & Camaioni, B. & Lobianco, A., 2013. "How rural the EU RDP is? An analysis through spatial funds allocation," 2013 Second Congress, June 6-7, 2013, Parma, Italy 149900, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Ratinger, Tomas & Kristkova, R., 2012. "Rural Economies and ahe Pillar 2 Budget Debate: A Regional Perspective," AGRIS on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, Czech University of Life Sciences Prague, Faculty of Economics and Management, vol. 4(4), December.
- Pangbourne, Kate & Roberts, Deborah, 2012. "What multipliers don’t tell you: A spatial analysis of farm household linkages," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134718, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Balamou, Eudokia & Pouliaikas, Kostas & Roberts, Deborah & Psaltopoulos, Demetrios, 2008. "Modeling The Rural-Urban Effects Of Changes In Agricultural Policies: A Bi-Regional Cge Analysis Of Two Case Study Regions," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6651, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Psaltopoulos, Demetris & Balamou, Eudokia & Skuras, Dimitris & Ratinger, Tomas & Sieber, Stefan, 2011. "Modelling the impacts of CAP Pillar 1 and 2 measures on local economies in Europe: Testing a case study-based CGE-model approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 53-69, January.
- Leeuwen, E.S. van & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Social Accounting Matrices; The development and application of SAMs at the local level," Serie Research Memoranda 0045, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Thomson, Kenneth J. & Psaltopoulos, Demetrios, 2007. "General Equilibrium Analysis of the Spatial Impacts of Rural Policy," 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain 9402, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Beatrice Camaioni & Roberto Esposti & Antonello Lobianco & Francesco Pagliacci & Franco Sotte, 2013. "Looking for PeripheRurality," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 35, WWWforEurope.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.