Industrial Concentration and Market Integration in the European Union
AbstractUnlike previous cross-section studies which test predictions from the theory of industrial structure, we do not make an ex ante assumption about the geographical market at which competition takes place. We develop an econometric technique that endogenously determines whether the EU or member state is the appropriate market level for each industry, while also estimating a structural model of concentration and market size. Another novelty is that we use European national as well as aggregate EU data. Strong support is found for the importance of endogenous fixed costs in the theory of market structure. Copyright 2001 by The London School of Economics and Political Science
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 68 (2001)
Issue (Month): 269 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jozef Konings & Hylke Vandenbussche & Linda Springael, 2001.
"Import Diversion under European Antidumping Policy,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 283-299, September.
- Hylke Vandenbussche & Jozef Konings & Linda Springael, 1999. "Import Diversion under European Antidumping Policy," NBER Working Papers 7340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Konings, Jozef & Springael, Linda & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2001. "Import Diversion under European Antidumping Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2785, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruce Lyons, 2001. "What Do We Conclude from the Success and Failure of Mergers?," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 411-422, December.
- Jan Guldager J�rgensen & Philipp J.H. Schr–der, 2003. "Reductions in Real versus Tariff Barriers: The Impact on Industry Concentration," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 251-268, December.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas, 2008.
"Lower Bounds of Concentration in a Small Open Economy,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 19-33, February.
- Ilmakunnas, Pekka, 2006. "Lower bounds of concentration in a small open economy," MPRA Paper 1859, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Catherine Matraves & Laura Rondi, 2007.
"Product Differentiation, Industry Concentration and Market Share Turbulence,"
International Journal of the Economics of Business,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 37-57.
- Catherine Matraves & Laura Rondi, 2005. "Product Differentiation, Industry Concentration and Market Share Turbulence," CERIS Working Paper 200514, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- John Hutchinson & Damiaan Persyn, 2012.
"Globalisation, concentration and footloose firms: in search of the main cause of the declining labour share,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 148(1), pages 17-43, April.
- Damiaan Persyn & John Hutchinson, 2009. "Globalisation, concentration and footloose firms: in search of the main cause of the declining labour share," LICOS Discussion Papers 22909, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- John Hutchinson & Damiaan Persyn, 2011. "Globalisation, concentration and footloose firms: in search of the main cause of the declining labour share," Vives discussion paper series 18, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculteit Economie en Bedrijfswetenschappen, Vives.
- Schröder, Philipp J.H. & Jørgensen, Jan G., 2001. "Reductions in Real versus Tariff Barriers: The Effects on Industry Concentration," MPRA Paper 124, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ewa, Lechman, 2010. "Concentration in ICTs sector – cross country analysis," MPRA Paper 37488, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Catherine Matraves, 2002. "European Integration and Market Structure in the Soft Drinks Industry," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 295-310.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.