The Effect of Entry on R&D Investment of Leaders: Theory and Empirical Evidence
AbstractWe develop a simple model of competition for the market that shows that, contrary to the Arrow view, endogenous entry threat in a market induces the average firm to invest less in R&D and the incumbent leader to invest more. We test these predictions with a Tobit model based on a unique dataset and survey for the German manufacturing sector (the Mannheim Innovation Panel). We confirm the empirical validity of our predictions and perform a number of robustness test with instrumental variables. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 08-078.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
R&D; Entry; Endogenous market structures; Leadership;
Other versions of this item:
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Etro, F. & Kraft, K., 2008. "The effect of entry on R&D investment of leaders: Theory and empirical evidence," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/217517, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Federico Etro & Kornelius Kraft, 2009. "The Effect of Entry on R&D Investment of Leaders: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 163, University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics, revised May 2009.
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2009-01-03 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2009-01-03 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2009-01-03 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2009-01-03 (Innovation)
- NEP-MIC-2009-01-03 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-TID-2009-01-03 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Slivko, Olga & Theilen, Bernd, 2011. "Innovation or Imitation? The effect of spillovers and competitive pressure on firms' R&D strategy choice," Working Papers 2072/179618, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Zigic, Kresimir & Maçi, Ilir, 2011.
"Competition policy and market leaders,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1042-1049, May.
- Slivko, Olga, 2012. "Innovation strategies of German firms: The effect of competition and intellectual property protection," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-089, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.