A New Test for ARCH Effects and Its Finite-Sample Performance
AbstractThe authors propose a test for autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity based on a weighted sum of the squared sample autocorrelations of squared residuals from a regression, typically with greater weight given to lower-order lags. The tests of R. F. Engle (1982), G. E. P. Box and D. A. Pierce (1970), and G. M. Ljung and G. E. P. Box (1978), are equivalent to the test with equal weighting. The authors' test does not require formulation of an alternative and permits choice of the lag number via data-driven methods. Simulation studies show that the new test performs reasonably well in finite samples especially with greater weight on lower-order lags. The authors apply the test in two empirical examples.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2009.
"Dynamic Specification Tests For Static Factor Models,"
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2010. "Dynamic Specification Tests for Static Factor Models," Working Paper Series 04_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & Serena Ng, 1998.
"Testing for ARCH in the Presence of a Possibly Misspecified Conditional Mean,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
370, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L. & Ng, Serena, 1999. "Testing for ARCH in the presence of a possibly misspecified conditional mean," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 257-279, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.