The Bank Lending Channel In Turkey: Effect of Capital Adequacy Ratio
AbstractThis paper empirically analyzes the effect of monetary policy changes on loan supply of Turkish banks and presents the evidence that bank lending channel of monetary policy transmission mechanism is operating through the capital adequacy of Turkish banks. By using the CAR as an indicator of capital constraint we show that banks that do not have capital constraints respond more to monetary policy. Also, banks with different CAR react differently to monetary policy changes. We show that the asymmetric effect of CAR may help to explain the mixed results in the empirical literature about the bank lending channel.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency in its journal Journal of Banking and Financial Markets.
Volume (Year): 1 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Atatürk Bulvarı No:191 B Blok 06680 KAVAKLIDERE/ANKARA
Phone: +90-312-455 65 00
Fax: +90-312-424 08 77
Web page: http://www.bddk.org.tr/WebSitesi/turkce/Raporlar/BDDK_Dergi/BDDK_Dergi.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Monetary Transmission Mechanism; Bank Lending Channel; Capital Adequacy Ratio;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1995. "Bank lending and the transmission of monetary policy," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 39, pages 47-79.
- Altunbas, Yener & Fazylov, Otabek & Molyneux, Philip, 2002. "Evidence on the bank lending channel in Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2093-2110, November.
- Kishan, Ruby P & Opiela, Timothy P, 2000. "Bank Size, Bank Capital, and the Bank Lending Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(1), pages 121-41, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zafer Kovancý).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.