Farm Planning under Uncertainty: A Review of Alternative Programming Models
AbstractThe complexity of modelling risk in farming systems is explained and the artistic nature of the task noted. A brief outline is presented of an appropriate conceptual framework, drawing attention to the merits of stochastic efficiency criteria for analysis of systems when risk preferences of individual farmers are unavailable. A distinction is drawn between planning problems with and without embedded risk. The merits of 'utility efficient' (UE) programming are explained. Extensions of programming models, including UE formulations, to embedded risk using discrete stochastic programming are reviewed. The paper concludes with a discussion of the importance of correctly understanding the way risk impacts upon the target farming system, and then of formulating a programming model appropriate to the case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 59 (1991)
Issue (Month): 01 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hardaker, J. Brian & Patten, Louise H. & Pannell, David J., 1988.
"Utility-Efficient Programming For Whole-Farm Planning,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 32(02-03).
- J. Brian Hardaker & Louise H. Patten & David J. Pannell, 1988. "Utility‐Efficient Programming For Whole‐Farm Planning," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 32(2-3), pages 88-97, 08-12.
- Levy, Haim & Hanoch, Giora, 1970. "Relative Effectiveness of Efficiency Criteria for Portfolio Selection," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 63-76, March.
- Okunev, John & Dillon, John L., 1988. "A linear programming algorithm for determining mean-Gini efficient farm plans," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 273-285, November.
- Meyer, Jack, 1977. "Second Degree Stochastic Dominance with Respect to a Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 477-87, June.
- B. Curtis Eaves, 1971. "On Quadratic Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(11), pages 698-711, July.
- K. D. Cocks, 1968. "Discrete Stochastic Programming," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(1), pages 72-79, September.
- Buccola, Steven T. & Subaei, Abdelbagi, 1984. "Mean-Gini Analysis, Stochastic Efficiency And Weak Risk Aversion," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 28(02-03).
- Petersen, E. H. & Fraser, R. W., 2001.
"An assessment of the value of seasonal forecasting technology for Western Australian farmers,"
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 259-274, October.
- Petersen, Elizabeth H. & Fraser, Rob W., 2001. "An assessment of the value of seasonal forecasting technology for Western Australian farmers," 2001 Conference (45th), January 23-25, 2001, Adelaide 125830, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Patton, Dean A. & Milthorpe, P.L. & Wynne, M. & Honeysett, B.M., 2000. "Evaluation of forage shrub plantations as a drought preparedness strategy for landholders in the Central-west of NSW," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 123716, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Dorward, A. R., 1996. "Modelling diversity, change and uncertainty in peasant agriculture in northern Malawi," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 469-486, August.
- Kingwell, Ross, 1996. "Programming models of farm supply response: The impact of specification errors," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 307-324.
- Pannell, David J. & Malcolm, Bill & Kingwell, Ross S., 2000. "Are we risking too much? Perspectives on risk in farm modelling," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 69-78, June.
- Perez-Mesa, Juan Carlos & Galdeano-Gomez, Emilio & Aznar-Sanchez, Jose A., 2011. "Management System for Harvest Scheduling: The Case of Horticultural Production in Southeast Spain," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 14(4).
- Fleming, Euan M. & Hardaker, J. Brian, 1993. "Micro-Level Approaches to Analysing Rural Development Problems," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 61(02), August.
- Ahumada, Omar & Villalobos, J. Rene, 2009. "Application of planning models in the agri-food supply chain: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(1), pages 1-20, July.
- Heidelbach, Olaf, 2006. "Efficiency of Selected Risk Management Instruments - An Empirical Analysis of Risk Reduction in Kazakhstani Crop Production," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25243, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Heidelbach, Olaf, 2007. "Efficiency of selected risk management instruments: An empirical analysis of risk reduction in Kazakhstani crop production," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 40, number 92323.
- Gomez-Limon, J. A. & Berbel, J., 2000. "Multicriteria analysis of derived water demand functions: a Spanish case study," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 49-72, January.
- Flaten, Ola & Lien, Gudbrand D., 2005. "Stochastic Utility-Efficient Programming of Organic Dairy Farms," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24743, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dorward, Andrew, 1999. "Modelling embedded risk in peasant agriculture: methodological insights from northern Malawi," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 191-203, October.
- World Bank, 2010. "Improving Water Management in Rainfed Agriculture : Issues and Options in Water-Constrained Production Systems," World Bank Other Operational Studies 13028, The World Bank.
- Gómez-Limón Rodríguez, J.A., 2002. "La reforma de la PAC y la aplicación de la Directiva Marco de Agua: Repercusiones sobre la agricultura de regadío," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 20, pages 155-195, Abril.
- Kopke, Emma & Young, John & Kingwell, Ross, 2008. "The relative profitability and environmental impacts of different sheep systems in a Mediterranean environment," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 85-94, March.
- Batterham, Robert L. & Drynan, Ross G. & Oarke, D.K. & Carter, P.H., 1993. "A Note Comparing Single-Index Models and Quadratic Programming Models for Farm Planning Under Risk," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 61(03), December.
- Behrendt, Karl & Cacho, Oscar J. & Scott, James M. & Jones, Randall E., 2009. "Bioeconomic analysis of fertiliser input costs on pasture resource management under climatic uncertainty," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 47628, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Abdulkadri, Abdullahi O. & Ajibefun, Igbekele A., 1998. "Developing alternative farm plans for cropping system decision making," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 431-442, April.
- Martin, Sandra, 1996. "Risk Management Strategies in New Zealand Agriculture and Horticulture," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 64(01), April.
- Musshoff, Oliver & Hirschauer, Norbert, 2007. "What benefits are to be derived from improved farm program planning approaches? - The role of time series models and stochastic optimization," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 95(1-3), pages 11-27, December.
- Lacroix, Anne & Beaudoin, Nicolas & Makowski, David, 2005. "Agricultural water nonpoint pollution control under uncertainty and climate variability," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 115-127, April.
- Oliver Mußhoff & Norbert Hirschauer, 2007. "Improved program planning with formal models? The case of high risk crop farming in Northeast Germany," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 127-141, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.