Tariffs, Transport Costs and the WTO Doha Round: The Case of Developing Countries
AbstractThe WTO Doha Round of multinational trade negotiations is labelled the Â“development roundÂ” to highlight the fact that progress could be achieved through the enhanced integration of the poor countries into the world economy. Since the trade agenda focuses to a large extent on the levels of direct and indirect trade barriers as well as other aspects of trade and competition policy, an important aspect of the relative trade performance of developing countries has been neglected somewhat. This paper argues that, in addition to trade barriers, other trade costs, such as communications and transport costs, have to be taken into account. These other costs can be significantly higher in developing countries, which impedes their successful integration into world markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade in its journal Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy.
Volume (Year): 04 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Suite 820, 410 22nd Street East, Saskatoon SK, S7K 5T6
Phone: (306) 244-4800
Fax: (306) 244-7839
Web page: http://www.esteycentre.com/
More information through EDIRC
developing countries; transport costs; WTO Doha Round; International Relations/Trade;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carsten Fink & Aaditya Mattoo & Ileana Cristina Neagu, 2002.
"Trade in International Maritime Services: How Much Does Policy Matter?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 81-108, June.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2001. "Trade in international maritime services : how much does policy matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2522, The World Bank.
- Michael D. Bordo & Barry Eichengreen & Douglas A. Irwin, 1999. "Is Globalization Today Really Different than Globalization a Hunderd Years Ago?," NBER Working Papers 7195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard E. Baldwin & Philippe Martin, 1999. "Two Waves of Globalisation: Superficial Similarities, Fundamental Differences," NBER Working Papers 6904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bougheas, Spiros & Demetriades, Panicos O. & Morgenroth, Edgar L. W., 1999.
"Infrastructure, transport costs and trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 169-189, February.
- Spiros Bougheas & Panicos Demetriades & Edgar Morgenroth, 1996. "Infrastructure, Transport Costs and Trade," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/7, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Trefler, Daniel, 1995. "The Case of the Missing Trade and Other Mysteries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1029-46, December.
- Wim Naudé & Marianne Matthee, 2011. "The impact of transport costs on new venture internationalisation," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 62-89, March.
- NOWAK-LEHMANN D., Felicitas & HERZER, Dierk & VOLLMER, Sebastian, 2007.
"The Free Trade Agreement Between Chile And The Eu: Its Potential Impact On Chile’S Export Industry,"
Applied Econometrics and International Development,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 7(1).
- Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Dierk Herzer & Sebastian Vollmer, 2005. "The Free Trade Agreement between Chile and the EU: Its Potential Impact on Chile´s Export Industry," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 125, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Vittorio Corbo & Andrea Tokman, 2007. "Latin America in a Global World: Challenges Ahead," Economic Policy Papers Central Bank of Chile 19, Central Bank of Chile.
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Diao, Xinshen, 2006.
"Exporing growth linkages and market opportunities for agriculture in Southern Africa:,"
DSGD discussion papers
42, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Diao, Xinshen, 2008. "Exploring Growth Linkages and Market Opportunities for Agriculture in Southern Africa," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 23, pages 104-137.
- Céline Carrere, 2011.
"Regional Agreements and Welfare in the South: When Scale Economies in Transport Matter,"
- C�line CARRERE, 2005. "Regional Agreements and Welfare in the South:When Scale Economies in Transport Matter," Working Papers 200513, CERDI.
- Céline CARRERE, 2007. "Regional Agreements and Welfare in the South: When Scale Economies in Transport Matter," Working Papers 200726, CERDI.
- Immaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Sebastian Vollmer, 2007. "Competitiveness – A Comparison of China and Mexico," CESifo Working Paper Series 2111, CESifo Group Munich.
- Nowak-Lehmann D., Felicitas & Herzer, Dierk & Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Vollmer, Sebastian, 2005. "Turkey and the Ankara Treaty of 1963: What can Trade Integration Do for Turkish Exports," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 43, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.