Estimation Of The Nonmarket Benefits Of Agricultural Land Retention In Eastern Canada
AbstractWe assess the nonmarket value for retention of farmland in the Moncton area of New Brunswick. We examine a number of factors explaining household external values for farmland preservation and expand on previous work by Beasley et al., Bergstrom et al., and Halstead. Our findings indicate that the marginal external benefit of preserving farmland in general in this region is small compared to the market price and that spatial embedding is not automatic in contingent valuation studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association in its journal Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 23 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reiling, Stephen D. & Boyle, Kevin J. & Cheng, Hsiang-Tai & Phillips, Marcia L., 1989. "Contingent Valuation Of A Public Program To Control Black Flies," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 18(2), October.
- Trudy Ann Cameron & Michelle D. James, 1986.
"Efficient Estimation Methods for "Closed-Ended" Contingent Valuation Surveys,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
404, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cameron, Trudy Ann & James, Michelle D, 1987. "Efficient Estimation Methods for "Closed-ended' Contingent Valuation Surveys," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(2), pages 269-76, May.
- W. L. Adamowicz, 1991. "Valuation of Environmental Amenities1," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 39(4), pages 609-618, December.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L., 1992. "Valuing public goods: The purchase of moral satisfaction," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 57-70, January.
- Kan, Iddo & Haim, David & Rapaport-Rom, Mickey & Shechter, Mordechai, 2008.
"Environmental Amenities and Optimal Agricultural Land Use: The Case of Israel,"
42832, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Kan, Iddo & Haim, David & Rapaport-Rom, Mickey & Shechter, Mordechai, 2009. "Environmental amenities and optimal agricultural land use: The case of Israel," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(6), pages 1893-1898, April.
- Joshua Duke & Lori Lynch, 2007.
"Gauging support for innovative farmland preservation techniques,"
Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 123-155, June.
- Duke, Joshua M. & Lynch, Lori, 2006. "Gauging Support for Innovative Farmland Preservation Techniques," Working Papers 28586, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Lynch, Lori & Duke, Joshua M., 2007. "Economic Benefits of Farmland Preservation: Evidence from the United States," Working Papers 7342, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Skaggs, Rhonda K. & Harper, Wilmer M., 1999. "Predicting Land Purchase Behavior In A Fast Growth, Intensely Agricultural County," 1999 Annual Meeting, July 11-14, 1999, Fargo, ND 35711, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Hailu, Yohannes G. & Brown, Cheryl, 2007. "Regional Growth Impacts on Agricultural Land Development: A Spatial Model for Three States," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
- Bergstrom, John C., 1998. "Exploring And Expanding The Landscape Values Terrain," Faculty Series 16653, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Duke, Joshua M. & Johnston, Robert J., 2006. "Systematic Influences of Policy Implementation and Conservation Agents on Willingness to Pay for Land Preservation," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21234, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hailu, Yohannes G. & Brown, Cheryl, 2006. "A Spatial Simultaneous Growth Equilibrium Modeling of Agricultural Land Development in the Northeast United States," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21082, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jaeger, William K., 2006. "The hidden costs of relocating sand and gravel mines," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 146-164, September.
- Aliza Fleischer & Yacov Tsur, 2005. "The Amenity Value of Agricultural Landscape and Rural-Urban Land Allocation," ERSA conference papers ersa05p55, European Regional Science Association.
- Hellerstein, Daniel & Nickerson, Cynthia J. & Cooper, Joseph C. & Feather, Peter & Gadsby, Dwight M. & Mullarkey, Daniel J. & Tegene, Abebayehu & Barnard, Charles H., 2002. "Farmland Protection: The Role Of Public Preferences For Rural Amenities," Agricultural Economics Reports 33963, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Poudyal, Neelam C. & Hodges, Donald G. & Tonn, Bruce & Cho, Seong-Hoon, 2009. "Valuing diversity and spatial pattern of open space plots in urban neighborhoods," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 194-201, May.
- Batie, Sandra S., 2003. "The Multifunctional Attributes of Northeastern Agriculture: A Research Agenda," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 32(1), April.
- Bergstrom, John C., 2001. "The Role And Value Of Natural Capital In Regional Landscapes," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(02), August.
- Bergstrom, John C., 2001. "Postproductivism And Rural Land Values," Faculty Series 16689, University of Georgia, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.