Oil Stockpiling: Help Thy Neighbor
AbstractAnd all the peoples came to Egypt to buy grain from Joseph, for the famine was grievous, everywhere.-Genesis 41:57 Saudi benevolence apart, a large inventory of oil is the most effective emergency tool that oil-importing nations could fashion. Long ago, Joseph advised the Pharaoh to prepare for famine by storing during times of plenty. Today virtually every study of policy options for oil supply emergencies emphasizes the value of building and using a large stock of oil to cushion the effects of a sudden loss in supply. And among the array of official pronouncements and promises, oil stockpiling stands out as the most visible and substantial arena of government activity in energy policy, where new institutions and resources have been deployed in the halting beginnings of a coordinated international stockpiling program. The Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR) and similar efforts have achieved primacy in the analysis and implementation of oil emergency policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Energy Economics in its journal The Energy Journal.
Volume (Year): Volume 4 (1983)
Issue (Month): Number 3 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F0 - International Economics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Creti, Anna, 2013. "Commodity storage with durable shocks : A simple Markovian model," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5384, Paris Dauphine University.
- Chaton, Corinne & Creti, Anna & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2008.
"Storage and Security of Supply in the Medium Run,"
11986, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Murphy, Frederic & Oliveira, Fernando S., 2013. "Pricing option contracts on the strategic petroleum reserve," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 242-250.
- Creti, Anna & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2008.
"Equilibrium Storage in a Markov Economy,"
11944, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Creti, Anna, 2007. "Equilibrium Storage in a Markov Economy," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2280, Paris Dauphine University.
- Creti, Anna & Villeneuve, Bertrand, 2010. "Equilibrium Storage in a Markov Economy," MPRA Paper 20520, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carl Blumstein & Paul Komor, 1996. "Another look at the strategic petroleum reserve: Should its oil holdings be privatized?," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 271-275.
- R. Glenn Hubbard, 1983. "Uncertain Lifetimes, Social Security, and Individual Saving," Discussion Papers 581, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bai, Y. & Zhou, D.Q. & Zhou, P. & Zhang, L.B., 2012. "Optimal path for China's strategic petroleum reserve: A dynamic programming analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1058-1063.
- Emerson, Sarah A., 2006. "When should we use strategic oil stocks?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3377-3386, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Williams).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.