The Age of Milton Friedman
AbstractBetween 1980 and 2005, as the world embraced free market policies, living standards rose sharply, while life expectancy, educational attainment, and democracy improved and absolute poverty declined. Is this a coincidence? A collection of essays edited by Balcerowicz and Fischer argues that indeed reliance on free market forces is key to economic growth. A book by Stiglitz and others disagrees. I review and compare the two arguments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal Journal of Economic Literature.
Volume (Year): 47 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- P16 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Political Economy of Capitalism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram Rajan, 2008.
"A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization,"
NBER Working Papers
14051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eswar S. Prasad & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2008. "A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 149-72, Summer.
- Prasad, Eswar & Rajan, Raghuram G., 2008. "A Pragmatic Approach to Capital Account Liberalization," IZA Discussion Papers 3475, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Natalia T. Tamirisa & Simon Johnson & Kalpana Kochhar & Todd Mitton, 2006. "Malaysian Capital Controls," IMF Working Papers 06/51, International Monetary Fund.
- Stiglitz, Joseph & Ocampo, Jose Antonio & Spiegel, Shari & Ffrench-Davis, Ricardo & Nayyar, Deepak, 2006. "Stability with Growth: Macroeconomics, Liberalization and Development," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780199288144, October.
- Simplice A. Asongu, 2013.
"African Stock Market Performance Dynamics: A Multidimensional Convergence Assessment,"
Journal of African Business, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 186-201, December.
- Asongu Simplice, 2012. "African Stock Market Performance Dynamics: A Multidimensional Convergence Assessment," Working Papers 12/004, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Simplice A, Asongu, 2012. "African Stock Market Performance Dynamics: A Multidimensional Convergence Assessment," MPRA Paper 36055, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura & Joan R. Rosés & Isabel Sanz Villarroya, 2011.
"Economic Reforms and Growth in Franco’s Spain,"
Working Papers in Economic History
wp11-07, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro & Rosés, Joan R. & Sanz-Villarroya, Isabel, 2012. "Economic reforms and growth in Franco's Spain," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 45-89, March.
- Roger Koppl & William Luther, 2012. "Hayek, Keynes, and modern macroeconomics," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 223-241, September.
- Boettke, Peter & Fink, Alexander, 2011.
Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 499-504, December.
- Delis, Manthos D. & Kouretas, Georgios P., 2011.
"Interest rates and bank risk-taking,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 840-855, April.
- Asongu Simplice, 2012.
"African Financial Development Dynamics: Big Time Convergence,"
12/003, African Governance and Development Institute..
- Simplice A, Asongu, 2012. "African Financial Development Dynamics: Big Time Convergence," MPRA Paper 36053, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Georgios Kouretas & Chris Tsoumas & Anastasios A. Drakos, 2013. "Ownership, institutions and bank risk-taking in Central and Eastern European countries," EcoMod2013 5204, EcoMod.
- Georgios P. Kouretas & Chris Tsoumas, 2013. "Bank Risk-Taking in CEE Countries," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, CEJEME, vol. 5(2), pages 103-123, June.
- MIYAJIMA Hideaki, 2009. "Pluralistic Evolution of the Japanese-Style Enterprise System: Toward the Hybrid Model (Japanese)," Discussion Papers (Japanese), Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) 09017, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Bruno, Giuseppe & De Bonis, Riccardo & Silvestrini, Andrea, 2012. "Do financial systems converge? New evidence from financial assets in OECD countries," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 141-155.
- Farhang Niroomand & Edward Nissan, 2012. "Relating economic infrastructure indexes to investor protection for selected emerging economies," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 249-260, January.
- Manthos, Delis & Iftekhar, Hasan & Pantelis, Kazakis, 2010.
"Bank regulations and income inequality: Empirical evidence,"
27379, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Delis, Manthos D. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Kazakis , Pantelis, 2012. "Bank regulations and income inequality: Empirical evidence," Research Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland 18/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Johansson, Anders C. & Feng, Xunan, 2013. "CEO Incentives in Chinese State-Controlled Firms," Working Paper Series 2013-27, Stockholm China Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Weigert, Florian, 2012. "In Search of Cushion? Crash Aversion and the Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns Worldwide," Working Papers on Finance, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance 1325, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance, revised Mar 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.