Financial Fair Play in European Club Football What is it all about?
AbstractThe new UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations have encountered stiff criticism. The concerns are that the new regulations may harm football in three different ways: By forgoing the potential benefits from substantial injections of external money into payrolls, by restricting competition in the player market without at the same time achieving benefits from more balanced competition, and by creating some sort of barrier to entry which could freeze the current hierarchy of clubs. It is the purpose of this paper to take these concerns as a starting point for discussing the likely effects of the new regulations. As a by-product it will become obvious why and in which points the concerns are unfounded.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW) in its series Working Papers with number 328.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2014
Date of revision:
Financial Fair Play; Soft Budget Constraints; Hard Budget Constraints; Moral Hazard; Rent-Seeking; Sugar Daddies; Competitive Balance; Ossification;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maskin, Eric S., 1996. "Theories of the soft budget-constraint," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 125-133, June.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00677436 is not listed on IDEAS
- Egon Franck, 2010.
"Private Firm, Public Corporation or Member’s Association Governance Structures in European Football,"
International Journal of Sport Finance,
Fitness Information Technology, vol. 5(2), pages 108-127, May.
- Egon Franck, . "Private Firm, Public Corporation or Member`s Association – Governance Structures in European Football," Working Papers 0106, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Mathias Dewatripont & Eric Maskin, 2004.
"Credit and efficiency in centralized and decentralized economies,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9605, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dewatripont, M & Maskin, E, 1995. "Credit and Efficiency in Centralized and Decentralized Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 541-55, October.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Eric Maskin, 1995. "Credit and efficiency in centralized and decentralized economies," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9603, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Wladimir Andreff, 2011. "Some comparative economics of the organization of sports: competition and regulation in north American vs. European professional team sports leagues," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 8(1), pages 3-27, June.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004.
"Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 12.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
- J�nos Kornai & Eric Maskin & G�rard Roland, 2003. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1095-1136, December.
- Helmut Dietl & Egon Franck & Markus Lang, 2005.
"Overinvestment in Team Sports Leagues: A Contest Theory Model,"
0038, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised 2007.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Egon Franck & Markus Lang, 2008. "Overinvestment In Team Sports Leagues: A Contest Theory Model," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 55(3), pages 353-368, 07.
- Helmut Dietl & Egon Franck & Markus Lang, 2005. "Overinvestment in Team Sports Leagues: A Contest Theory Model," Working Papers 0002, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA), revised 2007.
- Edward P. Lazear & Sherwin Rosen, 1979.
"Rank-Order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts,"
NBER Working Papers
0401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- PEETERS, Thomas & SZYMANSKI, Stefan, 2012. "Vertical restraints in soccer: Financial fair play and the English Premier League," Working Papers 2012028, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Budzinski, Oliver & Szymanski, Stefan, 2014. "Are restrictions of competition by sports associations horizontal or vertical in nature?," Ilmenau Economics Discussion Papers 86, Ilmenau University of Technology, Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Daniela Koller).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.