In the Need of Speed - The Impact of Organizational Learning on the Competitiveness of Born Transnationals
AbstractThe globalization process stimulates more and more start-ups entering international markets at their earliest convenience. Supported by modern IT and logistics systems, this option is available for many ventures that become more and more independent from their country of origin. For transnational companies, as heterarchical networks without typical internal hub structures and a high degree of responsiveness, this holds particularly true. This is the reason why this paper focuses the 'born transnational' type of international entrepreneurship. The question arises how international ventures achieve international competitiveness. This paper argues that the pace and the alignment of processes of external and internal learning are of utmost importance. Knowledge generation, absorption, integration, and company-wide transfer play a pivotal role in this regard. Insofar, the research question of the paper is: What are the factors that accelerate organizational learning of 'born transnationals'? Based on competence-based theory and a particular model of organizational learning, the paper presents research propositions on the learning process of Ôborn transnationals'.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZenTra - Center for Transnational Studies in its series ZenTra Working Papers in Transnational Studies with number 07.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2012
Date of revision: Nov 2012
Transnational company; Born Transnational; Globalization; Start-ups; competence based theory of the firm; organizational learning;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- D29 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Other
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
- K12 - Law and Economics - - Basic Areas of Law - - - Contract Law
- K40 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - General
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- M52 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Compensation and Compensation Methods and Their Effects
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-12-10 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-KNM-2012-12-10 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Finn Marten Koerner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.