The KfW/ZEW start-up panel: design and research potential
AbstractSo far, there has been no data set which observes firm formations in Germany not only on a cross-sectional basis using one-time surveys, but continuously over a number of years. Therefore, the Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW), KfW Bankengruppe and Creditreform set up a panel study of newly founded firms in Germany: the KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel. In each of the yearly panel waves computer-aided telephone interviews (CATI) are conducted with about 6,000 start-up firms from almost all industries. The KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel will for the first time enable profound analyses of the temporal development of newly founded firms, including studies of firm survival. This paper describes the design of the KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel. The survey's research potential is illustrated using data from the first panel wave conducted in the year 2008. Data access for external researchers and data protection issues of the confidential micro data are discussed. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 09-053.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Firm foundation; micro data; firm data; panel data; Germany;
Other versions of this item:
- Helmut Fryges & Sandra Gottschalk & Karsten Kohn, 2010. "The KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel: Design and Research Potential," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 130(1), pages 117-132.
- Fryges, Helmut & Gottschalk, Sandra & Kohn, Karsten, 2009. "The KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel: Design and Research Potential," IZA Discussion Papers 4441, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C80 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - General
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-10 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dirk Christian Dohse & Andrea Vaona, 2013. "Start-up Complexity and the Thickness of Regional Input Markets," Kiel Working Papers 1842, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Höwer, Daniel, 2013. "Corporate main bank decision," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-018, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Goldbach, Stefan, 2012.
"Innovation and Education: Is there a 'Nerd Effect'?,"
Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century
62307, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Goldbach, Stefan, 2012. "Innovation and Education: Is there a ‘Nerd Effect’?," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 56008, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Brown, Martin & Degryse, Hans & Höwer, Daniel & Penas, María Fabiana, 2012. "How do banks screen innovative firms? Evidence from start-up panel data," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-032, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Gottschalk, Sandra, 2013. "The Research Data Centre of the Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW-FDZ)," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-051, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fryges, Helmut & Kohn, Karsten & Ullrich, Katrin, 2012.
"The interdependence of R&D activity and debt financing of young firms,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
12-016, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fryges, Helmut & Kohn, Karsten & Ullrich, Katrin, 2011. "The Interdependence of R&D Activity and Debt Financing of Young Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 6217, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.