Structural change and generalized balanced growth
AbstractThis paper addresses the criticism that balanced growth models are inconsistent with the dynamics of structural change typical for the process of economic growth. Using a sectoral disaggregated version of a researchdriven growth model, we develop the concept of a generalized balanced growth path (GBGP). The GBGP preserves decisive properties of the balanced growth path analyzed in aggregated growth models. Along a GBGP, aggregate variables grow at constant rates (balanced growth) while disaggregated variables grow at non-constant rates. The aggregated model's implications for the behavior of aggregates are robust with respect to structural dynamics. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Konstanz, Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers, Series 1 with number 298.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
structural adjustment; innovation-based growth;
Other versions of this item:
- Juergen Meckl, 2000. "Structural Change and Generalized Balanced Growth," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0233, Econometric Society.
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989.
"A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
8904, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1990. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," DELTA Working Papers 90-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 1990. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," NBER Working Papers 3223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Howitt, P., 1989. "A Model Of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Working papers 527, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Barro, 2012.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
CEMA Working Papers
568, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Robert J. Barro & Paul M. Romer, 1991.
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number barr91-1.
- Echevarria, Cristina, 1997. "Changes in Sectoral Composition Associated with Economic Growth," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 431-52, May.
- Stijepic, Denis & Wagner, Helmut, 2011.
"Implementation of technological breakthroughs at sector level and the technology-bias,"
Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis
48707, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Stijepic, Denis & Wagner, Helmut, 2011. "Implementation of technological breakthroughs at sector level and the technology-bias," MPRA Paper 33352, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 13 Sep 2011.
- Helmut Wagner & Denis Stijepic, 2010. "The Kuznets-Kaldor-Puzzle and Neutral Cross-Capital-Intensity Structural Change," DEGIT Conference Papers c015_016, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Bjarne S. Jensen, 2004. "Pareto Efficiency, Relative Prices, and Solutions to CGE Models," DEGIT Conference Papers c009_006, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Debowicz, Dario & Segal, Paul, 2012. "Structural change in Argentina, 1935â€“60: The role of import substitution and factor endowments," IFPRI discussion papers 1212, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Dietrich, Andreas & Krüger, Jens, 2010. "Numerical Explorations of the Ngai-Pissarides Model of Growth and Structural Change," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 46865, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Dalila NICET – CHENAF (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2009. "Human capital and structural change: how do they interact with each other in growth?," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-14, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Bjarne S. Jensen & Ulla Lehmijoki, 2011. "Homothetic Multisector Growth Models," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_001, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Andreas Dietrich, 2012.
"Does growth cause structural change, or is it the other way around? A dynamic panel data analysis for seven OECD countries,"
Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 915-944, December.
- Andreas Dietrich, 2009. "Does Growth Cause Structural Change, or Is it the Other Way Round? A Dynamic Panel Data Analyses for Seven OECD Countries," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-034, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Stijepic, Denis & Wagner, Helmut, 2008. "Impacts of Intermediate Trade on Structural Change," MPRA Paper 40841, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Aug 2012.
- Bjarne S. Jensen & Mogens E. Larsen, 2005. "General Equilibrium Dynamics of Multi-Sector Growth Models," DEGIT Conference Papers c010_003, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Stijepic, Denis & Wagner, Helmut, 2009. "Kuznets-Kaldor-puzzle, neutral structural change and independent preferences and technologies," MPRA Paper 37162, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Mar 2012.
- Bjarne Jensen & Mogens Larsen, 2005. "General equilibrium dynamics of multi-sector growth models," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 17-56, December.
- Ikhlaas Gurrib, 2011. "The Impact of Mining and Services Industries on the Structural Change of Australia," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 4(2), pages 35-51, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.