Women empowerment in Portugal: Realities, constraints, policies, strategies and initiatives
AbstractIn Portugal we have yet problems with disadvantaged groups, in some cases because the social conditions, in other cases because the economic conditions and in another situations from the familiar and physical circumstances. This context sometimes is worse in the rural areas, because has other factors associated, as the alcoholism. So, is important to analyze these dynamics, write about those, propose some policies to interview and do something, namely for the women, which are yet in some situations a social group with disadvantages. In this line the objectives of this work is to present here some explanations and reflections about the Portuguese disadvantaged groups, referring some statistics available in some Institutions and analyzing profiles, and finally describe a project, as an example of social intervention, developed in rural counties in the center of Portugal with disadvantaged women, namely unemployed. In the final of this project was interviewed several persons and Institutions to understand their opinion about this initiative and all had a favorable judgment, what reflect the need and the importance of these social interventions. From here were proposed new social policies to be implemented in the Portuguese context that can help the public Institutions in the definition of the public strategies. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZBW - German National Library of Economics in its series EconStor Preprints with number 62595.
Date of creation: 17 Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
disadvantaged groups; rural areas; women empowerment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R00 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General - - - General
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vanda Narciso & Pedro Damiao Henriques, 2008. "O Papel das Mulheres no Desenvolvimento Rural: Uma Leitura para TimoraLeste," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2008_04, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Santana, Paula, 2002. "Poverty, social exclusion and health in Portugal," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 33-45, July.
- Schaap, Maartje M. & Kunst, Anton E. & Leinsalu, Mall & Regidor, Enrique & Espelt, Albert & Ekholm, Ola & Helmert, Uwe & Klumbiene, Jurate & Mackenbach, Johan P., 2009. "Female ever-smoking, education, emancipation and economic development in 19 European countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 1271-1278, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.