Dynamic Trading Policies With Price Impact
AbstractIn this paper we analyze the optimal policy for a risk averse agent who wants to sell a large block of shares of a risky security in the presence of price impact and transactions costs. Our framework reduces to the standard Merton portfolio problem in the absence of any market frictions. Optimal liquidation results in revenue distributions which are substantially different from those generated by a naive strategy. The main tradeoff involves choosing between revenue distri
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale School of Management in its series Yale School of Management Working Papers with number ysm244.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2001
Date of revision: 01 Jan 2002
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Longstaff, Francis A, 2001. "Optimal Portfolio Choice and the Valuation of Illiquid Securities," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 407-31.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Hindy, Ayman & Huang, Chi-fu & Zhu, Steven H., 1997. "Numerical analysis of a free-boundary singular control problem in financial economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 297-327.
- Dimitri Vayanos, 2001. "Strategic Trading in a Dynamic Noisy Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 131-171, 02.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lo, Andrew W., 1998. "Optimal control of execution costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-50, April.
- Andrew J. Morton & Stanley R. Pliska, 1995. "Optimal Portfolio Management With Fixed Transaction Costs," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(4), pages 337-356.
- Chan, Louis K C & Lakonishok, Josef, 1995. " The Behavior of Stock Prices around Institutional Trades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1147-74, September.
- Forsyth, P.A. & Kennedy, J.S. & Tse, S.T. & Windcliff, H., 2012. "Optimal trade execution: A mean quadratic variation approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 1971-1991.
- Vathana Ly Vath & Mohamed Mnif & Huyên Pham, 2007. "A model of optimal portfolio selection under liquidity risk and price impact," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 51-90, January.
- Olivier Gu\'eant & Charles-Albert Lehalle, 2012. "General Intensity Shapes in Optimal Liquidation," Papers 1204.0148, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2013.
- Obizhaeva, Anna A. & Wang, Jiang, 2013. "Optimal trading strategy and supply/demand dynamics," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-32.
- Guéant, Olivier & Lehalle, Charles-Albert & Tapia, Joaquin Fernandez, 2011. "Optimal Portfolio Liquidation with Limit Orders," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7391, Paris Dauphine University.
- Takashi Kato, 2011. "An Optimal Execution Problem in Geometric Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Price Process," Papers 1107.1787, arXiv.org, revised May 2012.
- Pereira, João Pedro & Zhang, Harold H., 2010. "Stock Returns and the Volatility of Liquidity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(04), pages 1077-1110, August.
- Alexander Schied & Torsten Schöneborn, 2009.
"Risk aversion and the dynamics of optimal liquidation strategies in illiquid markets,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 181-204, April.
- Schied, Alexander & Schoeneborn, Torsten, 2008. "Risk aversion and the dynamics of optimal liquidation strategies in illiquid markets," MPRA Paper 7105, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anna Obizhaeva & Jiang Wang, 2005. "Optimal Trading Strategy and Supply/Demand Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 11444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fabien Guilbaud & Mohamed Mnif & Huy\^en Pham, 2010. "Numerical methods for an optimal order execution problem," Papers 1006.0768, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.