The Need for Competition in International Securities Regulation
AbstractThis paper advocates opening up international securities regulation to greater regulatory competition than the scant competition that exists at present. After sketching the contours of an international regime of regulatory competition in securities laws and the reasons why such competition is desirable, the paper provides a detailed response to objections that have been raised to a proposal for a competitive securities regime that was principally focused on the United States, objections that would accordingly also be raised against this paper's proposal. These include whether the U.S. securities regime is directed at mitigating problems regarding disclosure of interfirm externalities and whether international competition will result in a regulatory race to the lowest level of disclosure. Because the analysis in support of regulatory competition in securities law draws upon the learn
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale School of Management in its series Yale School of Management Working Papers with number ysm214.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2001
Date of revision: 01 Sep 2001
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2008.
"Contractual Corporate Governance,"
2008-015, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Aitken, Michael & Cumming, Douglas & Zhan, Feng, 2013. "Exchange trading rules, surveillance and insider trading," CFS Working Paper Series 2013/15, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Lucian Bebchuk & Alma Cohen, 2002.
"Firms' Decisions Where to Incorporate,"
NBER Working Papers
9107, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bebchuk, Lucian Arye & Cohen, Alma, 2002. "Firms' Decisions on Where to Incorporate," CEPR Discussion Papers 3514, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean-Marc Suret & Cécile Carpentier, 2003. "Réglementation des valeurs mobilières au Canada," CIRANO Project Reports 2003rp-11, CIRANO.
- Drahozal, Christopher R., 2004. "Regulatory competition and the location of international arbitration proceedings," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 371-384, September.
- Jean-Marc Suret & Cécile Carpentier, 2003. "Securities Regulation In Canada," CIRANO Project Reports 2003rp-12, CIRANO.
- Cumming, Douglas & Johan, Sofia & Li, Dan, 2011. "Exchange trading rules and stock market liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 651-671, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.