International pharmaceutical price differences
AbstractThe study compares manufacturer prices in Australia and seven other countries for 150 pharmaceuticals listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS), as at 30 June 2000. The comprehensive study found that prices in the USA are between 80 to 160 per cent higher than in Australia, and prices in Canada, the UK and Sweden are around 50 per cent higher. Prices in Australia are closer to those in France, and about the same as those in Spain and New Zealand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0107004.
Date of creation: 23 Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - PDF; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on HP;
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
pharmaceuticals - pricing - drugs - Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme - PBS - subsidy - price comparisons - therapeutic groups - molecules;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-07-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-HEA-2001-07-30 (Health Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2001-07-30 (Microeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Quiggin, John, 2005.
"How to kill a country? The US-Australia Free Trade Agreement, pharmaceuticals and intellectual property,"
Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers
151506, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- John Quiggin, 2005. "How to kill a country?: The USÐAustralia Free Trade Agreement, pharmaceuticals and intellectual property," Australian Public Policy Program Working Papers WP1P05, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Gianluca Baio & Laura Magazzini & Antonio Nicita & Fabio Pammolli & Massimo Riccaboni, 2003. "Il Decreto DL 15/04/2002, n. 63 sul Contenimento della Spesa Farmaceutica," Working Papers 0-2003, Competitività Regole Mecati (CERM).
- Coenen, Michael & Haucap, Justus & Herr, Annika & Kuchinke, Björn A., 2011. "Wettbewerbspotenziale im deutschen Apothekenmarkt," DICE Ordnungspolitische Perspektiven 17, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.