A Cost-Benefit Analysis of a Monetary Union for MERCOSUR with Particular Emphasis on the Optimum Currency Area Theory?
AbstractPotential costs and benefits of a monetary union for the four MERCOSUR countries Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay are compared. Particular emphasis was put on the traditional and new approaches to optimum currency area theory which were reviewed and analyzed with respect to their validity for less developed economies. Based on these insights 7 theses have been developed and thereafter were tested empirically, as far as empirical material was available. Evidently MERCOSUR will not start negotiating a treaty on a MERCOSUR monetary union à la Maastricht tomorrow. The necessary institutional framework is de facto non-existent. Further the member countries have shown little willingness of monetary cooperation in the past. Nonetheless, the creation of a single MERCOSUR currency could serve as political lubricant for deepening integration. Such a deepening of the integration process could go hand in hand with sound and coordinated macroeconomic management which in turn could lead to more stability and increased credibility in the region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0407010.
Length: 80 pages
Date of creation: 08 Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 80
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Mercosur; monetary union; monetary integration; optimum currency area theory;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-07-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2004-07-11 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2004-07-11 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Foresti, Pasquale, 2007. "Is Latin America an Optimal Currency Area? Evidence from a Structural Vector Auto-regression analysis," MPRA Paper 2961, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.