Modeling Electricity Auctions
AbstractThe recent debates over discriminatory versus uniform-price auctions in the UK and elsewhere have revealed an incomplete understanding of the limitations of some popular auction models when applied to real-world electricity markets. This has led certain regulatory authorities to prefer discriminatory auctions on the basis of reasoning from models which are not directly applicable to any existing electricity market. Vickrey auctions, although often recommended by economists, have also been ignored in these debates. This article describes the approach which we believe should be taken to analyzing these issues.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Game Theory and Information with number 0206001.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 12 Jun 2002
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on PC-MS WORD; pages: 9
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
electricity markets; auctions; Vickrey auctions;
Other versions of this item:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2002-07-31 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2002-07-31 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-REG-2002-07-31 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Espinosa Alejos, María Paz & Ciarreta Antuñano, Aitor, 2004.
"Market Power in the Spanish Electricity Auction,"
DFAEII Working Papers
2005-04, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Aitor Ciarreta & María Paz Espinosa, 2003. "Market Power In The Spanish Wholesale Electricity Market," Working Papers. Serie AD 2003-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Rahmatallah Poudineh & Tooraj Jamasb, 2013.
"Distributed Generation Storage, Demand Response, and Energy Efficiency as Alternatives to Grid Capacity Enhancement,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
1356, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Poudineh, Rahmatallah & Jamasb, Tooraj, 2014. "Distributed generation, storage, demand response and energy efficiency as alternatives to grid capacity enhancement," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 222-231.
- Zou, Xiaoyan, 2009. "Double-sided auction mechanism design in electricity based on maximizing social welfare," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4231-4239, November.
- Crawford, Gregory S. & Crespo, Joseph & Tauchen, Helen, 2007. "Bidding asymmetries in multi-unit auctions: Implications of bid function equilibria in the British spot market for electricity," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1233-1268, December.
- Francesco Gullì, 2011. "The interaction between emissions trading and energy and competition policies," RSCAS Working Papers 2011/20, European University Institute.
- O'Mahoney, Amy & Denny, Eleanor, 2011.
"Electricity Prices and Generator Behaviour in Gross Pool Electricity Markets,"
34847, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- O'Mahoney, Amy & Denny, Eleanor, 2013. "Electricity prices and generator behaviour in gross pool electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 628-637.
- Ping Zhang, 2006. "A Complete Characterization of Pure Strategy Equilibrium in Uniform Price IPO Auctions," Discussion Papers 2006-06, The Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics, School of Economics, University of Nottingham.
- Müller, Gernot & Rammerstorfer, Margarethe, 2008. "A theoretical analysis of procurement auctions for tertiary control in Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2620-2627, July.
- Espinosa Alejos, María Paz & Ciarreta Antuñano, Aitor, 2005.
"A Supply Function Competition Model for the Spanish Wholesale Electricity Market,"
DFAEII Working Papers
2005-18, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Aitor Ciarreta & Maria Paz Espinosa, 2010. "Supply Function Competition in the Spanish Wholesale Electricity Market," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 137-158.
- Baldursson , Fridrik M. & von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik, 2007. "Vertical Integration and Long-Term Contracts in Risky Markets," Memorandum 01/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.