The role of Financial Liberalization in Development: Weaknesses and Corrections
AbstractDuring the 80’s and 90’s, the increase in financial instability shook up the idyllic vision of the financial liberalization in developed nations. The difficulties borne by the banking sectors spread out in some Asian and Latin American countries as systemic crises. The deregulation of the financial sector has really affected their banks. We try to carry out an examination of the the financial liberalization process through a review of the literature. We analyze at first endemic weaknesses, then we study some institutional and conceptual solutions. We try to identify the micro-economic banking dimension as a driving force for the growth. The role of banking system is described in a development process usually facing the apology of the stock market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0503003.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 05 Mar 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 14
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
financial development; banking; credit;
Other versions of this item:
- D. Saidane, 2005. "The role of Financial Liberalization in Development: Weaknesses and Corrections," Finance 0503004, EconWPA.
- G - Financial Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Demirguc-Kent, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 1998.
"Financial liberalization and financial fragility,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1917, The World Bank.
- Arestis, Philip & Demetriades, Panicos O, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 783-99, May.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Philip Arestis, 1996. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/16, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Levine, R. & Loayza, N., 2000.
"Finance and the sources of growth,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125520, Tilburg University.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos Demetriades, . "Finance and growth: Institutional Considerations and Causality," Working Papers 9605, University of East London, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.